Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Real Estate and Property Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Post Close problems

My wife and I built a house this last year and moved in several months ago. We sold our old house to someone that wrote in a provision on the offer requesting that we have a professional cleaning company clean the basement to get rid of a musty odor. We signed the document although I am sure this wasn't mentioned. Either way, under the direction of our real estate agent we cleaned the basement and I couldn't smell anything that they were talking about and called it good. The couple closed on the house a couple of weeks ago and just today called and said that they wanted to have us pay to have a a cleaning company come in and clean out the basement. It seems that this is going to cost us about $400. We spent so much time cleaning the basement that to have to shell out another $400 is really irritating. It seems to me that they had a responsibility to approve or reject the condition of the house BEFORE the sale of the home, not after. I also think that in the very least if they don't think the house is acceptable they can cancel the contract and move out. My questions are; Can they still demand things like this after the sale? What would happen if I refuse? When is this over?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post close problem

Hey you might want to re-read your contract that you signed with your Real Estate agent. I would also go over it with her as well. It sounds like the buyers are just wanting more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetim
My wife and I built a house this last year and moved in several months ago. We sold our old house to someone that wrote in a provision on the offer requesting that we have a professional cleaning company clean the basement to get rid of a musty odor. We signed the document although I am sure this wasn't mentioned. Either way, under the direction of our real estate agent we cleaned the basement and I couldn't smell anything that they were talking about and called it good. The couple closed on the house a couple of weeks ago and just today called and said that they wanted to have us pay to have a a cleaning company come in and clean out the basement. It seems that this is going to cost us about $400. We spent so much time cleaning the basement that to have to shell out another $400 is really irritating. It seems to me that they had a responsibility to approve or reject the condition of the house BEFORE the sale of the home, not after. I also think that in the very least if they don't think the house is acceptable they can cancel the contract and move out. My questions are; Can they still demand things like this after the sale? What would happen if I refuse? When is this over?

Last edited by Mauigirl37; 06-06-2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post closing

“We sold our old house to someone that wrote in a provision on the offer requesting that we have a professional cleaning company clean the basement to get rid of a musty odor.”

Then this provision needs to be honored.

“We spent so much time cleaning the basement that to have to shell out another $400 is really irritating.”

If you agreed via the contract to have it professionally cleaned, then you need to have it professionally cleaned.

“It seems to me that they had a responsibility to approve or reject the condition of the house BEFORE the sale of the home, not after.”

They have the right to have the contract honored. Sometimes terms in contracts take place after closing.

“I also think that in the very least if they don't think the house is acceptable they can cancel the contract and move out.”

If they closed, they own it now. Their name should be on the deed. You don’t cancel the contract and move out after it’s closed.

“Can they still demand things like this after the sale?”

I believe so. If they choose, they could take you to small claims court to enforce a provision in your contract.