Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Real Estate and Property Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Attorney wont give back property deed!!!

I recently purchased a small pre-fabricated home on 1/2 acre of land from a family friend for $10,000 cash. We went to an attorney to have the deed transferred from his name to mine. The attorney told us he had to do a title search and then he would get back to me about setting up a closing. 6 weeks later I called him to find out what the holdup was and he told me we will be closing the week of october 17th,"this week" but he did not have an exact date. i called again today oct. 20th. and he then told me we will close on wed. the 26th. and i need to bring a cashiers check for the amount of $10,900..somewhere around that amount. this is when i told him that the property was already paid for, all we wanted was a deed transfer and he did all of the extras without permission and now wants to charge me for them. i told him i will go to another attorney to have it taken care of but he will not give the deed back because he claims he did too much work to just give it back. what should i do? can he keep the deed? will i still be liable for the charges? Also, I never signed any paperwork, there is no contract. he just has the original deed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Even though you never signed any paperwork with the attorney you have been working with, since he has performed legal services in the matter he may have an entitlement to some reasonable portion of the transaction cost. It might be wise to consult a real estate lawyer who can tell you your rights and responsibilities to the lawyer you have been presently working with. Please visit the law library for this information which can be found here http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...te-lawyer.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ethically, a lawyer can't hold a client's property or case records just because the client hasn't paid him what the lawyer thinks is owed to him. It might be best to email or mail him a letter asking him for the paperwork. Keep a record of his responses. If he still refuses to turn the property over to go, you can report him to the state bar and ask for fee arbitration (http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...bitration.html) to figure out what fees, if any he should be paid.

*This post is not intended to be legal advice
Old 11-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.vogel View Post
Even though you never signed any paperwork with the attorney you have been working with, since he has performed legal services in the matter he may have an entitlement to some reasonable portion of the transaction cost. It might be wise to consult a real estate lawyer who can tell you your rights and responsibilities to the lawyer you have been presently working with. Please visit the law library for this information which can be found here http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...te-lawyer.html
Thanks for sharing this information here, it is really a good thread.I am also looking this type of description for the same issue.