Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Real Estate and Property Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Real Estate/Street repair-County refuses to repair road-says not built up to code-Nor

Real Estate/Street repair-County refuses to repair road-says not built up to code-North Carolina

Sorry to bother anyone.

Bought a home in 2001-not sure if there is a statue of limitations
On a hill/cul-de-sac
Was not told it was a private road
Nothing in writing saying such
Built by a large company NVR homes listed on New York Stock Exchange.
Housing Company built the road and home like any subdivision I assume (I know I assume).
There are street lights from electric company in this cul-de-sac, sewers and so on..
In 2002-County said street not built up to code and will not take over street.
We had to split off from the main HOA but it was the same covenants and nothing about streets was mentioned.
County/City refuses to repair road (asphalt gatoring)

1. The 9 of us who bought homes up here were ignorant in seeing that the plat for each showed we all owned part of the hill including the road/common grass center --- OR--- that at least the plat showed we each had a triangle for an easement that extends to the entrance at bottom of hill. One entrance to cul-de-sac

2. Called county offices in 2002 and was told road was not built up to code. However when I built my house there were already 7 of the 9 houses built

Hence the city would not (I guess) take over the road since it was not built up to code OR perhaps they never told us it was a private drive and not to be turned over to the city for maintenance

Not sure what trumps what here. Does the law prevail in allowing the building of houses on a road not built up to code and never repaired?
So this would be county and home builder issue I guess

Or perhaps they deemed it a private road all along, never told us, the plat backed it up and we are SOL?

Thanks
Peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!