Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Landlord-Tenant Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lease signed under false pretenses? mislead/information withheld.

I tried to search and couldn't find any similar topics. Forgive me if this has been asked before.

I recently entered into a lease with one other person. I don't know what legal standing I have, but I feel that I signed the lease without knowing the complete situation. Both the landlord, and the other tenant were fully aware of certain facts (history of late payment, being currently behind on utilities and rent from last year's lease, etc.)

Now I'm not sure why the landlord would let the other person lease again this year, but he did, and he brought me into it too. This is my first year on the lease, so I wasn't here last year.

We are both fully responsible for the rent. And to be honest I don't expect that I have much legal standing here, but is there any type of law that protects somebody from signing a lease under false pretenses, or nullifies a lease if all other parties involved are privy to information or aware of a financial situation that is not at all disclosed to the third party (myself) until after signing?

Anyway, what are my options, if any?

obviously my best case scenario is i stick it out, my roommate finds a way to catch up on the utilities from last yaer, and we get current on the rent. i'd love to stay. But if things turn sour, what options do I have?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

A few unpaid bills probably won't be enough, but if you really want out of the lease you can just breach the lease and leave. You will use your deposit and be accountable for rent while the landlord is looking for a new tenant.

Realistically odds are it won't be longer than a month the landlord has a duty to find a new tenant and if he is not doing anything he becomes accountable. A lot of people think you will owe the entire lease if you just leave, but the landlord has a duty to mitigate damages in a contract. Here is an article on that http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...e-damages.html .

If it is a really bad situation just leave your deposit will likely be lost, but you can just move on better than sitting some place your miserable at for a year.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

What were the false pretenses?

What are the false pretenses? Someone has to knowingly mislead you to have it be false pretenses. If you didn't ask for payment history, ask to see bills, etc, then I don't think anyone misled you. Misleading you would be showing you bills that were current or stating that the tenant was not late in paying rent.

Ask to sublet your part of the unit out and move, is my suggestion.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lease signed under false pretenses mislead/information withheld

Ok so here is my situation. I used to work for this housing company that Im currently living at. I signed a year lease when I started working and was given a 20 discount for being a full time employee. About 5 months later my job status changed and I was told that I would lose my discount. When that changed I received nothing from my manager in writing that my rent was changing. My lease still says that my rent is the amount I was to have paid while I had the discount. Now I am no longer employed by this company but was allowed to stay as a tenant. Currently my lease still says I have a discount, is this correct and should I have been paying the discount amount or the regular amount a normal lease would have been since no 30 day notice to change the rent was given and no new lease was ever signed?

Thanks from Washington
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is just basic contract law if the express terms of the lease say you get a 20% discount for being an employee and then you weren't any longer the discount is gone.

If they were evicting you or something they would need to go through the whole unlawful detainer process http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...r-lawyers.html , but they were just giving you a discount for an express reason so I think they are in the right. However, I am just some guy on the internet if you think this %20 rent is worth hiring a lawyer for then go for it, but one thing to remember is that the American rule is that each party pays their own attorney fees even if they win.