Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Landlord-Tenant Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

locks changed, can't get my things.please help

so my girlfriend breaks the glass then jumps threw the window of my apt. i was not home. i was renting the apt from someone who did not have permission to sublet. he sublet it to me cause he moved and didn't want to lose the apt. so the cops came cause a neighbor called them and arrest her for burglary . when i got home the locks were changed. my super said it was the cops that changed it. they said they did not. he told me a few days later that the landlord threw out all my stuff. it has been almost 3 months and now the guy i was renting from got in contact with me and said he has all my things and will give them back for 6000 dollars. i don't have any money. what can i do?
there are irreplaceable things in there
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Contact the police about filing a report about the theft of your belongings. Although extortion is popularly used in reference to someone in a position of authority, I believe it may apply here since he was, although illegally doing so, subleasing to you.

In my jurisdiction, there is something called Claim and Delivery. It is used when someone else is holding your property unlawfully. You go to the police, file the paperwork, and the other person is served with a notice about a hearing to show cause. He then is subpoeaned to appear at which time he has to explain to the judge if he has your things, and if he does, why he is not returning them. The judge then rules and can order the police to go with you at a certain time to retrieve your belongings. I have seen this work effectively repeatedly. Since he was in fact illegally renting to you, he will most certainly not want to appear.

Why is he asking for six thousand dollars? Do you owe rent (not that it matters---most self help sort of actions aren't lawful anyway---and he certainly has unclean hands, as it were).

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!