Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Landlord-Tenant Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Last Month's Rent - loud new tenant

Do I need to pay another month's rent, and hope that they give me my full security deposit back?
I gave my 30 day notice, and rental agency is requiring full month rent, even though I will be out prior to that. Usually, it is prorated.
I just gave notice to my landlord (rental agency), I was given permission to break my lease, due to a new tenant moving in and causing many problems in the downstairs apartment. Loud noises, banging, late at night, and dog barking when no one is home. This was after nicely asking him not to do this several times. The cops have been called as well.
There was also a situation where there was no hot water (included in rent) for a 24 hour period. I have no control of the hot water, main power, nor basement, but the new tenant does. Many issues have occurred by no one getting back to me if main power goes out. Landlord is aware, and I have pages documented of the issues. I just want my security deposit back. Can I use it for last month's rent?

When the rental agency found out about these problems, they kept saying they did not know what to do about it.
They did nothing, so I finally started calling te police when the noise continued. the guy has temper tantrums at any given time, and just starts banging where ever he feels like.
the dog is neglected, and barks continuously, sometimes when he's not home.

the dog used to roam the yard, but the neighbor next door put a stop to that. she called the police and dog dispatcher on him. she has a dog grooming business, and can't have dogs running around without a leash. also it's a busy street.

When the hot water didn't work, the only way it was fixed in the 24 hours, was because I told them I was checking my legal rights.
They sent back an email to me, but didn't bother to call for repair until the next day.
so, I had no hot water for a day.

I have also had to sleep at my friend's house due to the noise from the tenant downstairs.

I called the rental agency and sent emails several times on all of these subjects, and they did nothing about it.
One day I saw the owner and his son, and spoke to them about the new tenant, and they didn't know about all the problems that I had been communicating to the rental agency.

The rental agency spoke to the tenant but he didn't care. They tried to set up a meeting, but the tenant did not show up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
rental dispute, tenant laws, tenant rights