Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Landlord-Tenant Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Can my landlord do these things?

-- I've been renting a room for 3yrs and the landlord tried to get us to move into a mold infested trailer he has been illegally renting out on his property, he is currently renting 3 trailers out illegally. When we told him no, he said he was going to make changes. Now we are no longer allowed to cook or wash our dishes and he changed the locks to the laundry room, but everyone else is allowed to do do laundry that rents here. He has also told us when we first moved in and a few times after that he does not want us to have guests come by, but everyone else that lives here have people come by daily. He rents out a house in front, a 1 bedroom apartment in back and 3 separate rooms in the back. When I first moved in he told me that when he moves out of the 1 bedroom apartment that we could move in, but just recently gave it to another couple that moved here about a year ago and told me that he had "changed his mind" and "there a better fit". We don't have a rental agreement and every time I ask for one he said he will get one. I've been paying my rent through bank transfers because he never would give me a receipt for rent payment. Anytime something goes wrong he blames us. I've always paid the rent on time every month on time. Is what he is doing legal? Can you please help me or point me to someone who can answer my questions? Thank you.
P.S. Just now I got a notice that he is taking my patio area that is in front of my room door, that he said was my area and to remove all my items to make room for "designated space" within 6 days or he is going to evict me. Please if somebody can let me know what is the best way to handle this harassment it would be very appreciated
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

If these facts are true then what he is doing is likely illegal and in violation of the implied warranty of habitability explained here. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...y-lawyers.html

If there is black mold it is a health and safety violation and if your in California I know you could seek action under California Health and Safety Code 17920.3. I encourage you to reach out to an attorney ASAP. You can use your local county bar association, the California Bar Association, or http://www.legalmatch.com/ to find an attorney.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks I'll do that. Some one moved into the travel trailer and this morning I was told I'm only allowed to throw out 1-5gal bag of trash a week. I've been trying to move, but it's super expensive in San Jose and the places I can afford there are waiting list that take 6 months to 2 years. To just rent a room is around $800, studio apartments run $1200 and up. I'll find a place, I just need more time and I'm tired of this guy taking my kindness for weakness.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are a lot of services in San Jose for tenants. I encourage you to check with the Santa Clara Bar Association, California Bar Association, or use Legalmatch to find a landlord tenant/attorney http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...nd-tenant.html . If you just post your case on there I imagine an attorney will respond. If the facts you are alleging are true you should have a good case.

Tags
discrimination, eviction, harassment, tenant rights