Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Landlord-Tenant Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

How to Dispute charges?

You may remember me - I was on here before asking about my landlord whom I suspected would charge me incredible amounts on my move-out in retaliation to a complaint I filed against her with the BBB. Well, I was right. Our carpet had two stains that were only visible under black light, not to the naked eye. My landlord is claiming they had to replace the carpet and is trying to charge me $1,000.00 for this. Of course I want to fight the charges but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. Do we just not pay and wait for her to take us to Small Claims or should I write her a letter indicating that we dispute the charges? I feel like we have a strong case, I'm just not sure how to get to that point. Also, if you have any other advice on this matter I'm all ears. What you have told me already has been invaluable and I want to thank you again for your assistance.
-Emily

Last edited by Emily; 11-12-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Grammer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Absolutely, write a letter disputing the charges. Make sure to make a copy of the letter for yourself and it would not hurt to actually go to the post office and get a Certificate of Mailing (in case landlord says they never received a letter). Then wait until she/he takes you to small claims court....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great, thank you! One more follow-up question: is there anything I should not mention in the letter? For example, should I not admit there were stains visible under black light or is it okay to use the fact that they were ONLY visible under black light in my defense? I know this letter will be used in court, if she takes me to court, so I don't want to trap myself somehow.
Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

So I hope you have pictures that you took of the place when you moved out...esp. of the carpet. If you can't see the stains with the naked eye I would not mention it. No need to get the judges mind wondering about black lights, their usages and reasons that you were checking out the carpet under black light.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do have pictures. The carpet looked great because the landlord just had it cleaned a month before! An apartment next door had a leaky toilet that soaked our carpet so they came in and clean it. When we moved out they came in with a black light and tried to say the stains that showed up were evidence of pet damage.