Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Landlord-Tenant Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
dee

need advice fast

I sold my home to JJ Ventures inc, and stayed in it as a renter ive rented for 5 months now without any problems @ all. My October payment was mailed from my job on thrusday October 03, 2008 at which it takes 1 day for the company to get my payment. which that would have been october 04, 2008 they got my payment.

On October 08, 2008 i get a letter to move in 5 days, i at once called this company to inquire of my payment. the 1st lady i spoke to was very nasty and said im not at the office ill check when i get back i advised her of the above when it was mailed, her reply was you better hope it has the 2nd post mark from the post office.

I then called one of the owners to discuss this issue, she was very nasty telling me to call the 1st lady i told her i did and as well told her when i mailed the payment. she said in a very nasty manner i look at the post mark and she was busy and had to go and hung up.

I made several calles the the 1st lady to ask did you find the check, she was at the office now, she had to check with someone else she didnt know nothing, call back tomorrow.

First she said shes check her office when she returned, she was at her office, but had to check with someone else.

Talk about the run around on this issue.

If you ever have to sell to avoid losing your home, by all means check out the company, it seems to me they want the home before the year lease is up.

I have made several payments and never late, i know for a fact when i mailed this last payment and have coworkers to say i did on the date i did.

My check was wrote on October 02,2008. I am at a loss as to why this is in dispute when it takes 1 day to get to the company.

Could there be a delayed from the mail post office, if so this has caused me a severe problem, could there be a delay on a new carrier delivering the mail?
This has happened to me at my home on receiving mail, it went several streets up and days later get to me.

What does one do on an issue over this. Im looking at 5 days to move and i know the check was mailed out in time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Read your lease with these people. Normally a lease allows a thirty day notice. In fact, I doubt these people can force you out unless it explicitly says five days in your lease, because the COURT MUST ISSUE AN EVICTION NOTICE... THESE PEOPLE CANNOT UNLESS IT IS IN THE LEASE... AND THE COURT GIVES YOU THIRTY DAYS.

Write back after you read your lease.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Eviction

Even if they serve you with a 3 day notice to pay or quit they would have to go through the eviction process (which can take months for the entire process). Send them a letter (make a copy for your records) about the facts of the situation and offer to stop payment on the check and issue another one...
Old 10-22-2008, 02:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
dee

eviction

Thanks so very much for your reply on this. i am well aware a court has to evict someone for nonpayment, the harrassment i endured over this by the company was uncalled for when infact payment was made.

Didnt even get a sorry we got your check when in fact it was deopsited.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Exclamation Eviction

I'm living in a two flat commercial building, and been paying my rent faithfully every month. I decided to hold my rent this month because I haven't had heat, hot water, or cooking gas since March of 2015. I was told the landlord will not be fixing the problem because they refuse to pay for the gas to come on. Nowing this we refuse to continue to pay rent. So the landlord wants us to leave in 30 days. We can't afford a lawyer, so what can we do.