Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Landlord-Tenant Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
a question....

i have lived in my apartment complex for a little over a year now and i didnt renew my lease so i guess im renting month to month now....

my landlord never has done anything for me....he comes around only to collect rent, we call him "slumlord"...theres no one on site...we fix things ourselves or live with it....its bug infested, and the door jams on my apartment have been kicked in and renailed...i could descibe some real good horror stories but i will stop here....

over the past 4 months or so thing have been getting worse...good people are moving out and drug dealers and crack heads are moving in....i fear for my property, i got renters insurance last month but people tell me its a joke...

i understand my problem seems simple....just move....but im a college student surviving off student loans...so money is an issue, and the rent is relatively cheap.....and my past isnt very sqeeky clean...according to other landlords....

im looking for a new place but is there anything i can do with this mess in the meantime?

can i hire someone to replace the door jams and take it off the rent?


i live in louisville, kentucky

thanks for any help
fosters_ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,901
Well, you get what you (can afford to) pay for.

Read your lease and see what things the landlord is responsible for. Also if your living conditions are substandard, I would contact the city government in which you live---something like Buildings and Codes, etc. Call around and ask where to file a complaint against sub standard housing which includes what are probably many safety and code violations.

You can withhold rent for repairs if certian protocol is followed--and that varies from state to state. In my state, you can notify the landlord via registered mail, requesting repairs to be made, and then doing them yourself if they aren't completed, and withhold rent accordingly ( and run the risk of eviction, either way.

Warning----if you make these phone calls, be prepared for the government to shut the place down if it doesn't meet code---then where would you go? Just a thought....

Good luck.

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
GentleGrace is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.