Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Real Estate and Property Law Forum > Landlord-Tenant Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

landlord selling house

My landlord in FL has decided to sell the house we are renting. We have 4 months left on our lease. Last week he came over while we were gone he went on our patio and threw away my potted plants and other personal items. Two days later while I was sitting on my backyard patio enjoying the sun, he showed up with a realtor to show him the property. Now they are bringing the realtor in today to show him the inside of the house and take pictures. My questions: do I have right to my privacy? and can I not allow him to take pictures of my personal things to possible put on the Internet?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I believe you can if the lease you have is still enforceable. I am not licensed to practice law in Florida, but most states I know of require the landlord to give you 48 hours or some such notice before entering the premises and they need to state a reason for the inspection.

He also should not be able to sell the house while your lease is in effect. There are a couple remedies you might be able to get which include 1) Simply terminating the lease or possible a rent reduction explained in this article http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...reduction.html

(2) You can probably get him for trespass and conversion or trespass to chattels for the destroyed property, but the amount of money you would be entitled to would be minimal however here are articles on that http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...sion-case.html I suppose you could get punitive damages if you proved it was willful, but that would be tough.

This sounds like a bad situation and your probably best of terminating the lease fighting to get all your deposit back and not pay the months rent or something, but I am just guy on the internet hopefully those articles can help you more than my post.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

land lord selling house

Advise;
First - You do not have to allow a realtor in as you have NOT been notified by the landlord that it is even for sale. This realtor could be bogus. Tell the realtor that you have no information from the Landlord that the house is even for sale. That until you hear directly from the landlord, no one will be looking at the house. Even if it states in your lease that you allow realtors in with 24 hr notice, you havent been notified by the OWNER, that its even for sale.
Secondly, - how did the realtor get your phone number? The landlord has NO Right to give out ANY personal information about you, including your telephone number, without your permission.
Third - The landlord must contact you himself if the realtor wants to bring someone in to look at the house. He must give you 24 hr notice to do so. If the landlord is not going to be with the realtor to show the property, you or a friend must be there. NEVER let the realtor take his "buyer" in by himself. Either you or your landlord be there to protect your property. The realtor must go through the landlord, not you, to show the property.
Fourth - Asking for $100.00 off the rent to show the house is coming quite close to blackmail. Don't do it. The landlord can evict you real quick. Not to mention some unwanted attention by the police.
Fifth - Start saving as much money as possible. It is evident that the LL is selling, so you know you are going to have to move.