Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Intellectual Property
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Website won't take down my profile

Hi,

Years ago, I created a casting profile on this small casting website, with my name, details and my headshot. I've just noticed that it's still there, after I sent them 2 or 3 requests to remove my profile. My requests are ignored.

Can I threaten them somehow, and possibly sue? Is there a case, or not? And if there is, how much would a lawsuit cost? I'm in California right now, the website is based off UK tho.

What other options aside from a lawsuit do I have? I'm a professional with a growing reputation, and I can't have my name and profile pic shinning like this on the first page of Google on some shady casting website.

Thank you!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

You might have a case if they are displaying your picture and putting you in a false light. (http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...l-lawyers.html)

However, as they are based in the UK, it would be difficult to enforce a court order against them. If you own any picture on your profile you might be able to file a takedown notice with them. The UK has a similar system to the USA DMCA takedown notice system (http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...t-lawyers.html).

In order to be valid the notice has to include the following information:

1. Your contact details.
2. The full details of the material.
3. The exact and full url where you found the material.
4. If the request relates to copyright, provide proof that you are the rights holder and a statement that, under penalty of perjury, you are the rights holder or are an authorised representative.
5. The reason for your request including but not limited to copyright law, privacy laws, data protection, obscenity, defamation etc.

If you wish to resort to a lawsuit, I'm afraid it might be prohibitively expensive to file an international suit. It might just be cheaper to pay someone to do some search engine optimization drop that search result to the bottom.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can send them a take down notice. You are the owner of the profile and you have the copyright over. The best thing to do is to ask an expert on what are the necessary and legal steps you can take against the website.