Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Bankruptcy Law, Banking and Credit Law Forum > Finances, Credit & Collections
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Notice of Arbitration Cr Card Defense Help

I was notified of AN ARBITRATION CLAIM filed against me. I am seeking advice as to what my defense is for the required response. I do not agree with the amount owed. The company taking me to arbitration has purchased this credit card debt and now attempting to collect. I am sure there are loopholes that can slant this case in my favor. I am seeking a well versed legal mind to give me the upper hand in this scenario. The response is due by August 10, 2009. I appreciate any assistance any of you may have.

Mark S.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

The statute of limitations may have expired---as if often the case with these junk debts that the bottom feeder financial companies buy.

When was the last activity on this account? Is it old? Where do you live?

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cr Card Account Status

Thank you for your response, Grace.
The account had activity as late as Dec. 2007, but only charging late fees. I looks like 11/2005 was the last time there were charges I made on this card.

I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

I appreciate any suggestions in how to respond to this Arbitration Claim.

Mark
Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hello, Mark.

Maybe reading through this thread will help give you some ideas. Credit Card Statute of Limitations in Florida

I don't think the SOL is going to help you in your case, but it doesn't hurt to try...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank You Grace

Once again, I appreciate your suggestions. I am going to take a more aggressive approach and see where it gets me. I may get lucky.

Mark S.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

You know that worked for me.......... I received something about a debt from about seven years ago that was in my husbands name. He is deceased but they wouldn't take that for an answer. So, I sent them a letter of the law in my state and said they were trying to collect an illegal debt and they ceased immediately---of course, this never went to court----just sent me letters in the mail..........

Worth a try--quote the SOL in your state and assert it has passed (even if it hasn't, or if you are unsure if it has)....... doesn't hurt!

Good luck............let me know what happens........I'm interested.