Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Bankruptcy Law, Banking and Credit Law Forum > Finances, Credit & Collections
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Joint Checking and Savings Account Garnishment

My wife and I live in Oregon and have been married since 2012. Our joint checking and savings accounts were garnished yesterday by a collection agency to the tune of $3905 on a $6500 debt. The garnishment was for a debt my wife had prior to our being married and my name does not appear anywhere on the debt. In fact, the writ of garnishment dates back to 2008! Out of the blue, they just took everything we had, all the way down to zero plus fees! And now we have no way to pay our mortgage or even go to the grocery store. The questions I have are:

1) What if any of this debt am I responsible for as the spouse?
2) If I am responsible for part, how do I recover it?
3) Do I need a lawyer and how do I pay one when I have no money(they took it all)?
4) What if any damages, punitive or otherwise can I levy against the collection agency?

Any help would be great, as I am very worried.
blazrman is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 98

Since Oregon is not a community property debt and this debt was incurred by a spouse when they were single or before marriage, it is the debt of the debtor spouse. However, this debt can only be collected or reimbursed for the debt paid from your account- at divorce. At that point you may have a claim that your funds were used for the debt. Before that since you are a "community" you cannot really claim reimbursement "legally" in court. You may do it independently from your own spouse on your own terms.
KouroshA is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.