Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Bankruptcy Law, Banking and Credit Law Forum > Finances, Credit & Collections
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Obtain Satisfaction of judgment

I have 2 judgments that I paid off through garnishments. Calls to the creditors confirm they are paid, yet there is no satisfaction of judgment filed with the courts which shows the cases still active at both the court and on my credit report. I have sent letters to them requesting this be done to no avail. Maybe my wording was wrong? Is there a template for this type of letter? Should I seek an attorneys help?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

You probably want to get a lawyer to do assist you.

The other party may have recorded something with the County recorder as well.

It shouldn't be to difficult and you want to try asking the other party to file something with the court proving payment, but if not you may need to take matters into your own hands, but if that is required of you may be able to seek compensation for your time.

Good luck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Another option would be to go to the court's website and see if you can self-file a Declaration Re Satisfaction of Judgment. The declaration basically says that you've paid what was necessary to satisfy the judgment but the plaintiffs have failed to file the appropriate paperwork. The declaration usually requires proof, so make sure you file that along with copies of any receipts or account statements you might have.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Acknowledgment of Satisfaction

The rules of each state may vary depending on your situation, but the forms are usually called the same.

If a judgment was satisfied by Writ of Execution such as a wage garnishment in your case, the court clerk in the county office will enter a satisfaction of judgment when the levying officer returns the Writ as satisfied for the full amount of the judgment . When this happens, you do not need to file anything unless you have also recorded an abstract of judgment to place a lien on the judgment debtor’s property. If you recorded an abstract of judgment, you will still need to file an Acknowledgement of Satisfaction of Judgment.

The best option is to call the county clerks office and figure out if the levy officer returned the Writ as satisfied and if it was for the full amount.

Tags
courts, credit report, garnishment, judgment