Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Bankruptcy Law, Banking and Credit Law Forum > Finances, Credit & Collections
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Small Claims Judgment Got Double-Paid - Now What?

State: California


I'm in an interesting situation now with collecting on my small-claims judgment. Here are the facts:

0) The judgment is for $1,650 principal + $90 court costs, plus the post-judgment costs and interest

1) On November 2, 2012, a bank levy is served on the debtors' financial institution
2) On November 20, 2012, one of the debtors pays me $600 voluntarily by check
3) On November 27, 2012, I find out from the debtor's financial institution's levy department that they sent Sheriff a check on 11/20/2012
4) On November 30, 2012, I find out from the Sheriff that they got a check on 11/30/12 for $1,752.16
5) On December 2, 2012, I find out from the judgment debtor that paid me $600 earlier that he and his ex-spouse (she's the other judgment debtor) met in court on 11/30/2012 through a court-appointed mediator, filled out form SC-145 (Request to Pay Judgment to Court) and paid the remaining amount of $1,342.71 (after $600 is subtracted and court costs declared so far on MC-012's plus interest are added) directly to the court, and the court entered a full satisfaction of judgment.

So now here I am: I got $600 on 11/20/2012, the Sheriff got $1,752.16 on 11/30/2012 and is holding it for 21 days before disbursement, and the court got $1,342.71 on 11/30/2012 and entered a full satisfaction of judgment.

Question 1: The court's full satisfaction of judgment on form SC-145 does not take into account the costs I spent on the bank levy ($140) and the costs I spent on recording the amended abstract of judgment ($35) that haven't yet been included on an MC-012. When I tried to look up the law governing form SC-145, I didn't find any references to any California Civil Code section whatsoever on the form itself (in the lower left-hand corner) nor online. Is there any recourse when the court does not include all costs on SC-145 (e.g. those not yet declared on an MC-012) and enters a full satisfaction of judgment based on that incomplete information? If there is recourse, what is it?

Question 2: What is or are the statute(s) of California Law governing the use of SC-145 by judgment debtors to immediately achieve full satisfaction of judgment?

Question 3: What's going to happen now to the money the Sheriff has got? If it is disbursed to me, may I take from that money the costs I spent on the bank levy, to cover them, since the levy was done under a writ of execution that allows such satisfaction of costs from the funds levied?

An unusual situation, to say the least. Any constructive advice would be very much appreciated.

InProPerr is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

pay judgment to court, post-judgment costs, request to pay judgment, satisfaction of judgment, sc-145

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.