Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Family Law Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Exclamation Fiancee dealing with adoption of child he did know about. HELP!

So my fiancee recently received a phone call from an attorney back in Witchita, Kansas asking him to sign over his rights so that his child may be adopted. My fiancee was very confused and asked what this was about. Apparently his ex girlfriend gave their child up for open adoption.

Back in 2010 my fiancee was involved with an ex girlfriend of his. She was pregnant and gave birth to Sophia born Jan 2 2011. The baby girl was put up for open adoption where she was adopted but never was finalized. Fast forward to this year and they are now wanting to I believe finalize the adoption. My fiancee and I live in Texas and he nor I want him to give up his rights as a father (if proven). If the child is his he wants to fight for custody. My question is...should we get a DNA test before? And because the child is in Kansas and we are in Texas, how will this go about? What should we do?
Lesliebeltran03@gmail.com is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 326
Yes absolutely get a DNA test first and foremost. If he is not the Father I assume there is no desire to care for the child and the adoption could go through and everyone would be happy. Here is a brief article explaining DNA testing laws. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...test-laws.html

Your best bet would be first to ask the attorney if you could have a DNA test conducted and submitted to the court. The attorney would likely work that out and if he is not the Father then none of this matters.

If he is in fact the Father and wants to take responsibility then he can file for Custody and there are two types of custody physical and legal. He could have 0 physical custody, but joint legal custody, which just means he would be involved in decisions for the child. You can always modify custody at anytime, but it sounds like at the very least your fiance would want legal custody to start out assuming he is the father. Here is a brief article explaining how to establish custody. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...y-lawyers.html
rhinojd is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

adoption, custody, paternity

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.