Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Family Law Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question legal separation in ME

My husband and I lived in Maine until I left several years ago; he's still there. I am trying to decide whether to pursue a divorce or a legal separation. I've found a helpful do-it-yourself divorce packet for Maine, but nothing about how to file for legal separation. I called the county court and was told that I should consult an attorney because the separation agreement and the petition for judicial separation required specific legal language.
I don't have much money but my spouse and I are intelligent, well educated and willing to separate or divorce without taking each other to court over financial settlements, and the kids are grown; I think we could handle this without attorneys if I could just find the necessary legal language for the petition. (I've seen the separation agreement forms on RocketLawyer...) I just can't seem to find that language online. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think I responded to this already, but if not I think you should just pursue a divorce. A legal separation is more difficult and is really only used mainly for certain religions that do not believe in divorce or if you think you might get back together or a few other rare instances. 99% of the time divorce is the way to go.

Here is an article explaining divorce v. legal separation. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...eparation.html

You can probably find a bar association that might help you with the forms, but you can also just find a local attorney to assist you. Filing divorce or legal separation is not that difficult and you could just have them represent you limited scope to fill out paperwork.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rhinojd is right in that a divorce is likely the better route given your situation. A divorce would be relatively easy with the paperwork you have found, especially given that the two of you agree on the terms of the divorce and the custody of your children is no longer an issue.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

This one of my best blog i have been to , I will definitely bookmark you . thanks a lot
Arbitration Law Saudi Arabia
Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Legal Language

The best way to educate yourself when making a petition for divorce is to go on your state's county website. In the state county website there are several links on how one may go about when petitioning for a divorce. The website is made for non-lawyers who want to file a petition for divorce without the assistance of a licensed attorney and legal language is not necessary and the court does not require it. The court knows that individuals file petitions "in pro per" and just want the forms to be filled out correctly and properly. Follow the "self help links" and make sure all instructions on how to file a petition for dissolution is filed. When you go down to the county clerks office to file the paperwork and pay the fees the county clerk may also assist you if you did not properly fill out the forms. Take several copies with you just in case there needs to be corrections made.