Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Family Law Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Taking your Spouses Name when Marrying

I have been trying to find out what the Statutes are in Texas regarding a Man taking a Womans maiden name when they marry. So far I have gotten no straight answer from any organization I have contacted. Could someone help please?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moswen View Post
I have been trying to find out what the Statutes are in Texas regarding a Man taking a Womans maiden name when they marry. So far I have gotten no straight answer from any organization I have contacted. Could someone help please?
The most reliable answer to that question can probably be found in your local county clerk's office, at the same time you apply for a marriage license. Under some circumstances, the woman's last name can simply just be adopted. Be completely straightforward at the time you apply for the name change; there are some stringent conditions involved and it may not be as simple as it sounds. You should also be able to obtain the required documents as well.
Once you receive a copy of your recorded marriage license, I would highly recommend a consultation with a good family attorney in your area for further guidance. As I mentioned before, there are certain procedures you must follow and definitely some circumstances that don't allow a name change..I wouldn't suggest you attempt this on your own, at least not without a quick legal consultation.
Good luck.
*If this question wasn't asked on your behalf, feel free to pass on my suggestion. As always, this is simply an avenue to explore and not to be construed as legal advice.*
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!