Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Estate Administration & Planning
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Irresponsible Lawyer

I paid this so-called lawyer, MBW, to settle my estate 7 months ago. As a laywer and settlement agent, he was suppose to send the Original Settlement Statement and other documents needed to the County Clerk to record it as sold to new owner. However, I recently received the 2005 Tax Statement for that previous property. The property does not belong to me anymore so I sent that statement to the present owner; however, the owner called me back and said "I've never received the title to the estate so I will not pay for the tax". So furious for not knowing what to do now, I tried to contact that lawyer, MBW to see what's going on. When I called the lawyer, he stated that he doesn't know what I was talking about. So I just sent him a copy of the Settlement Statement and General Warranty Deed that had been done at his office to prove to him that it's his duty that he accept to be the agent to settle my property. I still have not receive any reply from him nor able to contact him. I also called the County Clerk but they said I have to contact my lawyer to send the Originals to the Clerk's office.

My impolite and irresponsible lawyer wouldn't do anything about it. What should I do now? I don't want to be liable for the property tax that I do not own anymore.

Anyone can help, please reply to this thread asap. Thank you so much.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wink

Sounds like you need to first fix the problem with title and taxes. This may require you to hire another attorney to file correctly. Second, you may want to sue this attorney for malpractice and all damages you have incurred including taxes and amount you pay your new attorney.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you

Thanks for your reply....I truly appreciate your advice....
Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Get yourself another attorney...Someone who is willing to take the case. Goodluck!

Old 02-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I moved into this house with my mother when I was about 6 or 7 years old. The man who would become my stepfather was not in our lives yet. My mother married him a few years later. They moved out of state in 1994. I decided to stay here until I was ready to move there with them except I wanted my own place. It was agreed I would get the utilities put in my name and take care of any repairs that came up. This agreement worked out fine until the death of my mother. My mother died very unexpectedly at the age of 49 in December 2001 and unfortunately, she did not have a will. My stepfather has been saying he would sign the house over to me since she died but hasn't done it yet and I don't believe he will. If he was going to, he would've done it by now. Me and my stepfather haven't had the best relationship because of some things I witnessed growing up around him. I've also seen how he treats his own kids and have no reason to believe he would treat me much better.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

If there was no will and your mom was married to him at the time of death. It is likely his property through intestate succession, but it does depend on what state you are in. Here is an article explaining intestate succession. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...alifornia.html

It is possible if you have been there for a long enough time that a claim for adverse possession could arise, but it really depends on what state you are in. Here is an article explaining adverse possession. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...n-lawyers.html