Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Employment & Labor Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Heres my story...

On March 1. 2009 I was informed by the acting Asst head housekeeper at my job that she was instructed by the General Manager to tell me and my sister to get our things and get the hell out. After I got this messages I marched straight over to the Inn where I assumed the GM would be to ask him why.
When I go there he was not there...so I told the Asst at the inn to call him and tell him I wanna talk to him. I waited for over 15 minutes and he still did not show up. Then I happened to look up and I spotted a memo that was posted up for all employees to see... and this memo read as follows:

From this point on Annette may be referred to as BW or if it is preferred B-Dub
is also acceptable. Additionally Penny will be known as WW or Dub Dub if one so chooses. (Laughing is encouraged) --Management

I couldnt quite figure out what BW or WW was supposed to stand for until a few days after my termination. BW= Black Witch and WW= White Witch.

I was terminated over a conjured up story that I had claimed that I am a black witch and placed curses on the Hotels, the GM, his son and other members of staff.

These are completely false allegations and I was never given the chance to even defend myself. I was just immediately told to get out. And even when
I did again try to tell them my side it was refused.

I have filed a claim with both my state job service and my states labor board.

In the claim from the company to Job Service they stated that i had sent a stuffed animal to NY to be cursed. That I told co-workers I am a black witch and cursed the hotel and that my behavior was making the other co-workers uncomfortable. Now if that were true why did they fire 98% of the staff?

I have been informed by many that I have a strong case of wrongful termination, defamation and religious discrimination against them.

Ive never been so hurt or angry over anything before. I loved my job and I loved working for that company. For them to terminate me over a conjured up rumor is not only morally wrong... its ethically wrong.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you live in an "at will" state, you do not have to be given a reason for being fired.

Additionally, you cannot have it both ways. You cannot say you are not a witch and then state you are being discriminated against because of your religion. The only "religion" mentioned in your posting was witch craft. If you are a practicing witch, and then if you are discriminated against, you could perhaps sue for being a witch. But you deny being a witch. Which religion are you and how are you being discriminated against for being that religion?

If you are wiccan or a witch, and lost your job for being a witch, then perhaps you can build a case, but the problem then is that the defense to defamation is the truth. You cannot be defamed for being called a witch if you are, in fact, a witch.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot say you are a witch, and you were discriminated against but you aren't a witch and they said you were and defamed you for calling you a witch.

Which one is it?

Also, their firing a lot of other staff members doesn't really have anything to do with you. It could be a myriad of reasons from lack of resources, cutting back hours, etc. to poor job performance by said employees. No one knows why---but the reason why really isn't relevant to your position.

Is it fair? No, not usually. Should it be that way? Probably not. Is that how the employment market (so to speak) works? Unfortunately, very often, yes.

Good luck.

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am NOT a witch. Ive never claimed to be a witch.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

On what grounds might you find religious discrimination? To what religion do you refer and how were you discriminated against because of being that religion, then?

These are questions a court is going to ask.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleGrace View Post
On what grounds might you find religious discrimination? To what religion do you refer and how were you discriminated against because of being that religion, then?

These are questions a court is going to ask.

Quote:
I have been informed by many that I have a strong case of wrongful termination, defamation and religious discrimination against them.

I did not say there was.... i said others said there is...

I dont believe there is religious discrimination... cause I dont think they know what my religion is...
but there is most definitely defamation for them calling me a Black Witch when I most certainly am not one.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette725 View Post
I did not say there was.... i said others said there is...

I dont believe there is religious discrimination... cause I dont think they know what my religion is...
but there is most definitely defamation for them calling me a Black Witch when I most certainly am not one.
Maybe I should have said on what grounds have OTHERS told you that you could file a religious discrimination lawsuit? Their telling me that would worry me because that would mean they DID think I was a witch.

Also, you are correct in stating that calling you a "black witch" could be defamatory. But in order to win damages you have to be able to prove that your reputation was hurt in some way (examples--you were denied service in a restaurant, you were denied the ability to lease an apartment, etc). Simply saying you are this particular thing does not mean you were defamed unless you can demonstrate in a tangible way exactly how.

Good luck.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe I should have said on what grounds have OTHERS told you that you could file a religious discrimination lawsuit? Their telling me that would worry me because that would mean they DID think I was a witch.

Also, you are correct in stating that calling you a "black witch" could be defamatory. But in order to win damages you have to be able to prove that your reputation was hurt in some way (examples--you were denied service in a restaurant, you were denied the ability to lease an apartment, etc). Simply saying you are this particular thing does not mean you were defamed unless you can demonstrate in a tangible way exactly how.

Good luck.
So in other words.... even though they basically F'ed up my life... have caused me to not be able to get hired at any other hotel...
and have caused severe emotional damage.... that I am probably basically screwed?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette725 View Post
So in other words.... even though they basically F'ed up my life... have caused me to not be able to get hired at any other hotel...
and have caused severe emotional damage.... that I am probably basically screwed?
If them (-*-) up your life, and if there is a tangible way to demonstrate that, then yes, you can sue. How have they kept you from getting hired at another hotel?

However, the bottom line is if you live in an at will state you cannot sue for being terminated unless it is for one of the protected reasons (gender, religious reasons, etc).

This does not mean you cannot bring a lawsuit privately against the person you believe posted that sign. You may not be able to prove you were terminated for allegedly being a 'witch', but you can demonstrate a hostile workplace environment and possibly racial motives as demonstrated by the use of the word "black".

Have you consulted with an attorney? The more time that goes by, the more difficult it would be.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
If them (-*-) up your life, and if there is a tangible way to demonstrate that, then yes, you can sue. How have they kept you from getting hired at another hotel?

However, the bottom line is if you live in an at will state you cannot sue for being terminated unless it is for one of the protected reasons (gender, religious reasons, etc).

This does not mean you cannot bring a lawsuit privately against the person you believe posted that sign. You may not be able to prove you were terminated for allegedly being a 'witch', but you can demonstrate a hostile workplace environment and possibly racial motives as demonstrated by the use of the word "black".

Have you consulted with an attorney? The more time that goes by, the more difficult it would be.

I am taking my claim(s) to an attorney soon.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would have thought by now that someone would have pointed out that
1) you were fired because of the allegation that you were a witch or a black witch and had put a spell or damned the hotel
2) if you are not a witch, much less a black witch, then this big mouth, know it all, has defamed you... and your grounds for requesting damages is that she cost you your JOB and that you have been unemployable since then
3) if you can get any other hotel to tell you that you were given a bad reference based on this buffoonery, then you can ALSO go after the hotel giving out that kind of crap
4) if you can get anyone to listen to your story, be aware that your wages at a hotel are among the lowest and probably would not give you enough extra... especially after having lost your job... to afford the services of a lawyer at a minimum of $175 per hour... it would take a minimum of $5K retainer for a lawyer to get ready for court appearance and for court costs. Then you have to have enough to continue this through all the inevitable delays that THEIR lawyers will force on you. What you can gain is YOUR WAGES FOR THE TIME YOU ARE OUT>>> and maybe your lawyer's fees ONLY IF YOU WIN AND THE JUDGE RULES IT REASONABLE....

but what you can lose is everything you put into the case... your time, your heartbreak from knowing that you've been disadvantaged by a fellow employee on a power trip... and perhaps by a strange hotel manager.

My advice is GET AWAY FROM THOSE PEOPLE. Get another job cleaning with a commercial office service or go back to school in a medical tech field where the income is WAY higher and the PAYBACK after education is even better than most professions. There should soon be assistance for that education in Obama's education plans. Go for it.

You don't need the hotel industry to live. Those people have poisoned your employment/life verbally.