Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Employment & Labor Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Using verbal permission against employer?

If an employee gives their their employer VERBAL permission to transfer the information they had written/submitted on a state background check form (NOT law enforcement)- word for word - to a revised state background check form (as the empiloyer noticed the first form had just been revised with a new mailing address for the clearance) and ALL written information on both forms is the same. The employee receives clearance. At a later date, can the employee allege any wrongdoing or claim against the employer ??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thms2002 View Post
If an employee gives their their employer VERBAL permission to transfer the information they had written/submitted on a state background check form (NOT law enforcement)- word for word - to a revised state background check form (as the empiloyer noticed the first form had just been revised with a new mailing address for the clearance) and ALL written information on both forms is the same. The employee receives clearance. At a later date, can the employee allege any wrongdoing or claim against the employer ??

HU?

What was the point of the 'transfer' of information? to hide something? Why submit a 'revised' state background check form instead of an original?

You gave the employer permission to do something illegal, and he did it, and you got in trouble. Now you want to hold HIM responsible?

Fill in the blanks--this isn't very clear.

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

verbal permission - additional info...

Sorry to not be clear! I was offered a job - pending the completion of my background clearances, references etc. The employer called me after I submitted my application - stating that a form I had completed was possibly an old form - and I would need to complete a new form - but he would need to check on it. The 'new' form was the same - it just had an updated mailing address. The employer said it could be sent back - which would take more time. So, in an effort to save time and expidite the process, I gave the employer my verbal permission to fill out the new form with the information I had given him. My clearance was fine. I really don't know if he sent in my original or the second form?? I never asked because I was hired. I no longer work there - so can I turn him in??
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry to not be clear! I was offered a job - pending the completion of my background clearances, references etc. The employer called me after I submitted my application - stating that a form I had completed was possibly an old form - and I would need to complete a new form - but he would need to check on it. The 'new' form was the same - it just had an updated mailing address. The employer said it could be sent back - which would take more time. So, in an effort to save time and expidite the process, I gave the employer my verbal permission to fill out the new form with the information I had given him. My clearance was fine. I really don't know if he sent in my original or the second form?? I never asked because I was hired. I no longer work there - so can I turn him in??

Let me get this right. (shaking head)

A guy does you a favor, saves you time and effort and possibly money by transferring your information to a "new" form. Your clearance was acceptable, and you became an employee. Now, quite some time later (I presume) you want to retaliate against him and turn him in for filling out a form you granted permission for.

How am I doing?

I have one more question---do you REALLY want to rattle that sabre? If it is wrong for him to do that, it was wrong for you to go along with it. What do you have to gain by doing this? Also, a verbal agreement is binding--and since you agreed to the terms of the first agreement, assuming you agreed to the terms of the identical second agreement isn't a stretch.

Here is another weighty question--who do you think CARES at this point ( especially since you admit you haven't a CLUE which form he submitted?)

This all seems petty and vindictive.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well, I think it is deceptive and isn't it forgery if he did it???? I did report him at least to Corporate recently, and they will be investigating - I want them to know that he is not Mr. Wonderful and perfect. A verbal contract comes down to my word against his?? That doesn't seem legal to me. How can he even explain himself??? I did tell Corp. that he even admitted to this!!!! Ya, I am angry.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I think it is deceptive and isn't it forgery if he did it???? I did report him at least to Corporate recently, and they will be investigating - I want them to know that he is not Mr. Wonderful and perfect. A verbal contract comes down to my word against his?? That doesn't seem legal to me. How can he even explain himself??? I did tell Corp. that he even admitted to this!!!! Ya, I am angry.

Consider for a moment how anything you say or do will reflect on you, the "sour grapes" terminated employee. I cannot imagine anyone taking you seriously. In fact, I am having trouble taking you seriously, too.

If you both agreed to the rewriting of the document, how can you change your mind now? You admit you both agreed to the terms--does anyone care since the document is the same, and since you agreed to the arrangement? And, think of this--if "corporate" finds fault with this particular exchange, they could hold YOU equally responsible.

What are you trying to accomplish? You got canned so you want to get even? How transparent.

Bottom line: you agreed to the terms of the contract---and , how can you prove you WEREN'T the one who filled out the paper? Disgruntled fired employee against still gainfully employed employee. Who would you believe?

In my neck of the wood, they call this S--- Stirring. Grow up.