Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Employment & Labor Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Medical Privacy Violation?

OK well this is my first time posting so I hope I have this in the right forum. I'm a senior in high school and recently had to leave an hour early for a doctor's appointment. Even though my mother wrote an excuse saying I had an appointment, they told me I had to have an excuse from a doctor. I'm having personal health issues, and I don't feel like I should have to bring in a note (which who knows who sees it, they aren't in a secure area) with a doctors name on it and a letter head that would reveal where I've been. If I don't bring a note in it will be unexcused. Are they violating my rights?
candyland is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyland View Post
OK well this is my first time posting so I hope I have this in the right forum. I'm a senior in high school and recently had to leave an hour early for a doctor's appointment. Even though my mother wrote an excuse saying I had an appointment, they told me I had to have an excuse from a doctor. I'm having personal health issues, and I don't feel like I should have to bring in a note (which who knows who sees it, they aren't in a secure area) with a doctors name on it and a letter head that would reveal where I've been. If I don't bring a note in it will be unexcused. Are they violating my rights?

I am afraid not. The identity of your doctor is not protected. The fact that he may be a popular doctor associated with a particular practice is, unfortunately, irrelevant.

However, as a former teacher ( still licensed teacher in my state, in fact ) let me assure you that in the scope of the teacher or administrators day, WHERE you were for your doctors appointment is not remotely interesting. Also, you may argue that the administration has a duty to protect your privacy. I know at your age, it is easy to embarrassed. But, you knew before you left school that an excuse would be required, and you chose to go to the doctor during school hours. Therefore, it is a given that an excuse is required.
__________________
[COLOR=magenta][COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]r[/COLOR][COLOR=darkslategray]a[/COLOR][COLOR=orange]c[/COLOR][COLOR=seagreen]e[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
GentleGrace is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
I disagree completely, it is no "given" that I should have to provide an actual doctor's excuse. I'm new to this district and I was not aware of this ridiculous requirement. As far as I'm concerned the school district can go to hell, because I'm not revealing jack to them. I'm in no way embarrased as to where I went (I had gone to thearpy), the point is out of spite. They will recieve either a fake note or none at all.
candyland is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyland View Post
I disagree completely, it is no "given" that I should have to provide an actual doctor's excuse. I'm new to this district and I was not aware of this ridiculous requirement. As far as I'm concerned the school district can go to hell, because I'm not revealing jack to them. I'm in no way embarrased as to where I went (I had gone to thearpy), the point is out of spite. They will recieve either a fake note or none at all.

You are wasting your time and mine by arguing with me. I neither made the law, nor am I the one enforcing it. YOU asked if they are violating the law. The answer is--whether you like it or not, they are not.

As a student, it IS your responsibility to know the rules of the schools you attend, and yes, every school I've ever attended has such a requirement ( not to mention employers ).

Your first posting says " I don't not think they should know where I've been", but NOW , your posting says "I don't care if they know where I've been--they are just doing this for spite". Spite? expecting you to follow a rule that's been around for thirty years? Oh yes, everyone is out to get you. Spiteful little buggers.

Obviously, you are missing the point of school truancy laws. YOU chose to have a doctors appointment during school hours. Every school in the United States has a policy whereby you must provide a doctors excuse. Therefore, you have no CONSTITUTIONAL GROUNDS to object.

Typical youthful folly--thinking anyone GIVES a you-know-what about where YOU went to the doctor. I would suggest you give the requisite note to the school office and have her glance at it and pop it into your folder and I assure you, think nothing of it.

I like your idea though--spend a lot of time and money drawing attention to yourself and your sense of entitlement---maybe even garner some media publicity--and wow, lo and behold the DOCTORS office you were at? The principals WIFE is the secretary there and saw you anyway.

You do not have a right to privacy simpy because you went into a particular public place. Unless you went under cloak and disguise, there is a very good probability a neighbor, a friends sister, aunt, or someone who is related to someone at the school saw you anyway --and obviously, thought nothing of it. Make a big deal out of it--everyone wonders, "Whats the big deal?" then they start making stuff UP----then someone starts a stupid rumor you were having a "gender reassignment counseling session"-or something equally as stupid -and you will bear THAT for the rest of your educational career--and here it whispered about in the locker rooms all because it makes good DRAMA----all to make a point no one cares about in the first place.

Medical care is something everyone needs--whether it pertains to "personal" areas of the body or not. Grow up and realize not everyone is thinking about you. Quite frankly, no one cares one bit what you ( or I ) do or where you've been. Therapy is critical to millions of people in this country---people have therapy for everything from depression, to the death of a parent, child, or spouse. In fact, I would guess more people have therapy in their lifetime than do not. Here is a point of view you are probably too defensive to appreciate, but, in actuality if anyone "thought anything" of it,(which I still think they do not) but if they did, it is entirely possible they admire and appreciate your apparently realizing you need assistance, and getting help. That is an act of maturity. To think otherwise is--well, immature. The folly of youth.

Truancy laws obviously require something more than a "parents" note. Kids have been faking parents notes for decades--hence the law.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse --and bottom line---you have no constitutional protection regarding privacy because you WALKED INTO a public place of business.

YOU chose to go to the doctor during SCHOOL hours. NOW--you can choose to follow the rules and provide a note, or you can accept an unexcused absence. Have at it.

Perfect example of our educational system gone wrong---underaged disrespectful vulgar mouthed teeangers with a sense of entitlement. Don't like the law? Write your lawmakers---and stop wasting my time by cursing at me. It is neither impressive or attractive.
__________________
[COLOR=magenta][COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]r[/COLOR][COLOR=darkslategray]a[/COLOR][COLOR=orange]c[/COLOR][COLOR=seagreen]e[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]

Last edited by GentleGrace; 09-29-2007 at 02:58 AM.
GentleGrace is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyland View Post
OK well this is my first time posting so I hope I have this in the right forum. I'm a senior in high school and recently had to leave an hour early for a doctor's appointment. Even though my mother wrote an excuse saying I had an appointment, they told me I had to have an excuse from a doctor. I'm having personal health issues, and I don't feel like I should have to bring in a note (which who knows who sees it, they aren't in a secure area) with a doctors name on it and a letter head that would reveal where I've been. If I don't bring a note in it will be unexcused. Are they violating my rights?
The doctor's note should only state the date and time of your appointment on hospital letterhead. If your school is requesting the nature of the medical condition, I believe that would bring HIPAA rights into question, and then it would be up to your parents (if you're under the age of majority in your jurisdiction) to decide whether or not they're comfortable having that information released. Of course, their decision would be based on your willingness to have that released as well. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...cy-rights.html may help answer some of your (and your parents') questions.

FYI: your school's budget is most likely dependent upon the number of students physically present each day and as such, their attendance policy based on both state and county budget requirements (among others.) You should be able to have your doctor outline your scheduled appointments on a weekly or monthly basis; check with your school to see if this will meet with their requirements. Unless you and your parents feel like tackling your local board of education, that is policy. Period. It's probably in writing in any of the registration paperwork you received at the beginning of the school year, on the school's current web site or otherwise prominently displayed. Again, if you can't find it elsewhere, try your board of education, but in my opinion, no, I don't see your rights being violated for the reasons you've posted.

If you're having "personal issues" that you're not comfortable discussing with your parents, you might want to try a school counselor at your school. With your permission, that counselor can at least advise the school of your circumstances and the number of "unexcused" absences.

Good luck.
TheJury'sStillOut is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJury'sStillOut View Post
If you're having "personal issues" that you're not comfortable discussing with your parents, you might want to try a school counselor at your school. With your permission, that counselor can at least advise the school of your circumstances and the number of "unexcused" absences.

Since the poster never even remotely suggested she couldn't talk with her parents about the visit--(how did she get to the doctor and who paid for it if her parents didnt know??) I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess that just maybe --since she has issues with the school secretary glancing at her doctors excuse to put it in her folder--she just *might* have issues with sitting down and discussing the doctors visits with a guidance counselor. One involves a mere glance at a piece of paper before filing it--the other involves a discussion of the very private doctors appointments.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJury'sStillOut View Post
You should be able to have your doctor outline your scheduled appointments on a weekly or monthly basis; check with your school to see if this will meet with their requirements
Her point isn't a scheduling conflict--it is a *privacy* issue. (She gave no reason as to why she couldn't simply make the appointment later in the day, after school). This means that the doctor making her a schedule to submit for approval doesn't address the issue of her NOT wanting them to know WHO the doctor is or what type of practice it is.
__________________
[COLOR=magenta][COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]r[/COLOR][COLOR=darkslategray]a[/COLOR][COLOR=orange]c[/COLOR][COLOR=seagreen]e[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]

Last edited by admin; 10-03-2007 at 08:10 AM.
GentleGrace is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
and i thought you didn't like anyone wasting your time...
top_barrister is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 339
Patient Privacy

For those similarly situated you may want to check out: Patient Privacy Rights Lawyers
admin is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.