Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Employment & Labor Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Drug screen refusal and disclosure

I was wondering if a former employer is allowed to discuss drug screen refusal with non-related 3rd parties.

I refused to take a random uranalysys one week after taking a pre-employment uranalysys that came up negative. Since then my supervisor disclosed that information to a friend of hers that worked at a clinic i had previously done medical clinical hours at.

Im not too sure about drug screen policies, but saying that someone "Tested positive", was slander, that the results (had i taken the test) are "non-negative if i had the apporpriate metabolites in my system. Seeing how a refusal IS grounds for termination, but a formor employer should not be able to discuss this information with a "friend" casually, not to mention say that i "tested positive".

This all happened in Texas. I was wondering where i stand legally if i can take some sort of legal action.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylkkdaskr
I was wondering if a former employer is allowed to discuss drug screen refusal with non-related 3rd parties.

I refused to take a random uranalysys one week after taking a pre-employment uranalysys that came up negative. Since then my supervisor disclosed that information to a friend of hers that worked at a clinic i had previously done medical clinical hours at.

Im not too sure about drug screen policies, but saying that someone "Tested positive", was slander, that the results (had i taken the test) are "non-negative if i had the apporpriate metabolites in my system. Seeing how a refusal IS grounds for termination, but a formor employer should not be able to discuss this information with a "friend" casually, not to mention say that i "tested positive".

This all happened in Texas. I was wondering where i stand legally if i can take some sort of legal action.
Besides embarrassment, what damages have you suffered? For example, were you offered a job, and then the offer was withdrawn?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Aside from the obvious embarassment, I am not un-eligable to further continue my clinical hours at that medical site next time i have to do clinical hours for college.

Not to mention everyone at that particular clinic, all friends or accquaintances, were trying to figure out why i was 'fired' from the job because of a positive drug test. I am most concerned with the fact that if the supervisor at that clinic felt it necessary to inform all the employess of that clinic (whom which had no reason to know this information) that they could relay the information to other o other clinical sites, thus negating my ability to perform my clinicals and therefore rendering me in-elligable to recieve my asscociates degree and ruining my career in the field.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylkkdaskr
Aside from the obvious embarassment, I am not un-eligable to further continue my clinical hours at that medical site next time i have to do clinical hours for college.

Not to mention everyone at that particular clinic, all friends or accquaintances, were trying to figure out why i was 'fired' from the job because of a positive drug test. I am most concerned with the fact that if the supervisor at that clinic felt it necessary to inform all the employess of that clinic (whom which had no reason to know this information) that they could relay the information to other o other clinical sites, thus negating my ability to perform my clinicals and therefore rendering me in-elligable to recieve my asscociates degree and ruining my career in the field.

Sue for Invasion of Privacy, Defamation and Damages. Got a wheelbarrow full of money? Because that's what an attorney would need to take your potential case. Yours is not the type that would be taken on a "contingency" basis. Rather, yours is strictly on an "hourly" basis.