Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Divorce
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Dumb (!) question

I was reading some of the threads here, and got to the one about the person in Texas who now has problems, apparently because the divorce decree didn't have the physical description of the marital property awarded in the decree.

My question: since most people (the ones getting divorced) are clueless, why are they being penalized for what seem (often) to be procedural issues that the professionals or regulators (state) are supposedly in charge of?

I hope that isn't coming across wrong, just that I lost even my personal possessions when my attorney withdrew after the decree came out. It was the most vague and silent thing and I had just informed my attorney of fraud I had discovered (after hearing, of course) that pertained to previous Court action ex filed against me. She withdrew when I insisted SOMETHING needed to be filed timely to make sure that the orders were carried out; my petition for clatification (whatever it's called) being denied ... and being filed in the CCS as having been filed by the ex. And of course, he circumvented all the orders.

This is now the THIRD time he successfully used the Court (same one) to defraud me ... and this time, he left our young adult daughter with ruined credit. Yet I can't do much of anything ... though I can see a lot of ways that people could be safeguarded through some sort of standards or standardization to make sure nothing is missed.

Any insight would be appreciated; since divorce is now "no fault" a person really doesn't have a "choice" but seems they should have some assurance the professionals and government at least get it right.Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Court Procedures

Everyone is entitled to represent himself or herself in a divorce. However, if you represent yourself, the court will expect you to follow all laws and the correct procedures that apply to your case, even if you are not an attorney. If you do not follow the correct procedures, you could lose important rights and the ability to request certain benefits forever. If your case goes to trial and you do not follow the correct procedures, the judge may not allow you to present certain evidence or call witnesses. Court personnel and judges are not allowed to give you legal advice. If you do not understand the laws or court procedures, you may contact an attorney for assistance.

The main reason that court procedures are in place is because each party may be affected in their case if the opposing party does not follow the guidelines and rules that are in place. Everything has a deadline under due process mainly because they want the court cases to move consistently.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

no one is always right

It's hard to be right every time. Governments are no different.

Last edited by admin; 01-26-2016 at 12:08 PM.