Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Divorce
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Father forcing my mom to stay in the marriage.

My father is forcing my mother to stay in their marriage. He threatens her with "leaving her and the kids with nothing and leaving". Our family has allot of assets, a very large house that we all live it. A 300 acre farm with a cabin and several barns, that mainly my dad uses, but I lived there throughout college. Also a very large corned building on our towns Mainstreet, which we rent out and is our main source of income. They also own a online business that is rather slow, but it employs my mother and one of her friends full time.

At home it is miserable when he is around, he harasses the entire family, asking everyone to work and do things around the house, always with and angry attitude. He is a rage addict, always with a reason to be angry. I have a younger brother and he and I have come to really resent him, my brother recently had an incident where he grabbed a knife, due to our parents fighting being so bad, nothing happened, but he was traumatized.

He had an affair about a half a year ago now, they got very close to a divorce, but after constant threat my mother stopped her efforts with the legal proceedings. Is it legal for him to intimidate my mother in this way? I feel like this is domestic abuse, but just not a physical type, the amount of verbal abuse this whole family is under is incredible.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, there is two kids in the family me(24) and my brother(17).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Verbal Abuse

When someone is being abused or harassed they have options to get legal protection from the abuse. The law says what type of protection someone can ask for and what he or she has to prove to get it.

domestic violence does not have to be only physical contact or abuse. Abuse can be verbal (spoken), emotional, or psychological. You do not have to be physically hit to be abused. Often, abuse takes many forms, and abusers use a combination of tactics to control and have power over the person being abused. Many types of verbal abuse can have criminal actions.

The most immediate remedy for spousal abuse is a domestic abuse injunction. This is a court order instructing the offender to stay a certain distance away from the victim, and may either be temporary or permanent.

The best way to cope with this situation without criminal actions is as a family agree to go to family counseling or therapy to remedy the situation since it has longterm physiological effects to everyone in the family even the person making the verbal abuse.

**This is not legal advise-For any legal advise or legal action, talk to a experienced family law attorney before taking any legal steps**
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Leaving

KouroshA advice is sound, but rather cold. I understand that the mother is not leaving your dad because she cannot support you and your brother. I would recommend talking to your mother and find a way to support yourselves, than leave and ask for a divorce. Because your mother divorces due to abuse, I'm certain she will receive some kind of monetary compensation or even a part of the father's assets.

Looking to solve the issue as KouroshA suggested, would only make him angrier. If you are 24, find a job, and ask your mother to do the same and move out ASAP.

Hope it helps.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Verbal Abuse

The advice that is given on this forum is not legal advice and any action that a party decides to take legally is highly recommended that they speak to an experienced attorney before doing so.

The information that I gave the opening post was regarding the question about how they can take legal action against the father. Since it was asked whether the father can legally force the mother to stay in the marriage through verbal abuse, we provide the legal actions that one can take to protect themselves. We do not take into account feelings and emotions that could be possible since that would be too subjective in nature, but rather give them legal information since this is a legal forum.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

She should seek council immediately. This is psychological abuse.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hello,
i am a new member on this site.These forum sites are very interesting for getting different ideas
Thank you.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratefully View Post
My father is forcing my mother to stay in their marriage. He threatens her with "leaving her and the kids with nothing and leaving". Our family has allot of assets, a very large house that we all live it. A 300 acre farm with a cabin and several barns, that mainly my dad uses, but I lived there throughout college. Also a very large corned building on our towns Mainstreet, which we rent out and is our main source of income. They also own a online business that is rather slow, but it employs my mother and one of her friends full time.

At home it is miserable when he is around, he harasses the entire family, asking everyone to work and do things around the house, always with and angry attitude. He is a rage addict, always with a reason to be angry. I have a younger brother and he and I have come to really resent him, my brother recently had an incident where he grabbed a knife, due to our parents fighting being so bad, nothing happened, but he was traumatized.

He had an affair about a half a year ago now, they got very close to a divorce, but after constant threat my mother stopped her efforts with the legal proceedings. Is it legal for him to intimidate my mother in this way? I feel like this is domestic abuse, but just not a physical type, the amount of verbal abuse this whole family is under is incredible.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, there is two kids in the family me(24) and my brother(17).

Hi Gratefully..Felt bad after reading it!
But there's always a solution to a problem. Do not worry everything will be fine soon.
Your mother who is the victim of an abusive partner may feel a sense of hopelessness in her relation. It doesn’t matter at all how many times people who have not been in that position say Just leave him. Its not that easy .

Your mother might have maintain feelings of love for your father and holding her to the hope that the relationship can be rescued, that he will change his behavior and keep his promise never to do it again.

Every woman has a right to feel safe and to be treated with respect, So do her children
I suggest you not to wait for long.If you are unable to go out and hire a legal representative for yourself, do one thing consult online legal experts who can help you out and drove you out from this problem without letting your husband know about it.They charge very reasonable fee one can pay and gives you the best solution

I hope best for your mother and your future.

GoodLuck!

Last edited by admin; 01-26-2016 at 12:02 PM.