Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Divorce
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

First Time Divorce. I Need Advice.

I recently got married to my boyfriend on September 6th. He unexpectedly left me on October 2nd. I received a text message from him saying it was over. He refuses to talk to me and has already hired a divorce attorney. I cannot afford an attorney. I do not work and now I am staying with my mom.

We live in Florida.
We have no children and I am not currently pregnant (tht I am aware of).
We do have a joint checking and savings account that I am the primary account holder on.

My questions are:
What are my rights because it was such a short marriage?
Can I have him pay for attorney fees since he made the marjority of the money?
What other costs would he be responsible for (like my counciling)?
How can I protect myself and my assets until the divorce is over?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Based on these facts you likely will not even need an attorney. The marriage lasted for one month so there is very little in the marital property estate, and you have no children so there will be no issues regarding custody or child support.

Divorce is really not that complicated, but sometimes lawyers make it more complicated as they can bill by the hour. There are certainly instances where an attorney is necessary, but a one month marriage with no children is likely not one of them.

If your ex needs to feed his ego by hiring an attorney and thinking he is winning in divorce court, let him pay some attorney a few thousand dollars and go about your life.

To answer your questions:
Attorney Fees- Generally no both sides are responsible for their own attorney fees with a few exceptions.

Counseling- Likely not if you want counseling you can pay for it yourself so can he.

Assets- What assets do you have? The general rule is you split everything 50/50 that was acquired during the marriage, but that only lasted one month so there shouldn't be much there. Otherwise everything you had before the marriage is his and everything you had before the marriage is yours.

Anything you had joint ownership in will be split 50/50 unless you or him paid substantially more for it. I.E. if you bought a car for $20,000 and added him to the registration that car will likely be yours.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
divorce, florida, short marriage