Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Divorce
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Husband threatening g to leave country to avoid alimony

My husband and I are not divorced, but he has a court order to pay alimony for five years. He is repeatedly making threats to leave the country to avoid paying me. He has nothing really holding him here except debts, so I think he could well follow through on his threat. Can I go back to court and ask for a lump sum payment or to have the funds escrowed or put in trust for me? What can I do if he leaves? I am disabled and absolutely dependent upon his support.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

RE: Husband threatening g to leave country to avoid alimony

If your husband is refusing to pay any alimony that he is supposed to pay, or avoiding his duty or obligation to pay the alimony that he is ordered to, you might want to go back to court to enforce him to do so. This can be done by filing a motion to ask the judge to pay you overdue payments of alimony and enforce the new ones. This is called motion for enforcement or contempt. If he refuses the judges order he would be in contempt of the judge's court order and will face criminal charges.

You should consult with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your situation and can help you draft the legal motions. You can find a local family attorney here:
http://www.legalmatch.com/home/caseIntake.do
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

The court orders can be carried over to any other country we are on friendly terms with. In addition you can ask the judge to put a restraining order on him leaving the country, which might be granted.

Here is a brief article on restraining orders, which may also lead you to some attorneys that could help you. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...ng-orders.html