Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Divorce
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Fiancee called of engagement.. now what do I do with the ring?

My ex-fiancee proposed to me on my birthday (Valentine's day). Financially he has been struggling for the past year and I have been helping him considerably ($3000+). Now he has called of the engagement, and through a text message he stated that I can keep the ring (which cost around $1800), so that I may sell it to recoup the money I put out for him. The thing is, I live in PA and I know that engagement rings are considered a conditional gift and legally should be returned to the man. He is saying that I can keep the ring, but I don't know if this text message serves as any proof in a court of law? I'm worried that he may change his mind and ask for it back a year from now, and I'm SOL! I've tried contacting him and I get nothing. It's like he dropped off the face of the earth! So what do I do? Hold onto the ring?

I also want to add that I believe he bought this ring on credit from the jewelry store and it hasn't been paid off. So that's another worry of mine that he may change his mind about allowing me to keep the ring.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

This article generally discusses the ring as a conditional gift, which you said that your state follows: http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...ment-ring.html.

Given you cannot get in touch with him, you can probably hold onto the ring. However, I would be careful to keep the text message he sent you. Additionally, if you decide to sell it, keep your records from the sale. This will help you if he does change his mind and decides to ask for the ring back.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I say keep the ring if he bothers to sue you over it, which is what he would have to do sue him for thr 3,000 he owes you. He sounds like a flake and may at some point ask for it back, but without a court order him taking it from you is illegal.

I think the most likely outcome if you sell the ring is that you will never see him again.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinojd View Post
I say keep the ring if he bothers to sue you over it, which is what he would have to do sue him for thr 3,000 he owes you. He sounds like a flake and may at some point ask for it back, but without a court order him taking it from you is illegal.

I think the most likely outcome if you sell the ring is that you will never see him again.

I agree with everything on keeping the ring just to be safe in case he comes back and ask for it.

Last edited by glintearth; 12-01-2014 at 03:00 AM.

Tags
engagement ring