Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Divorce
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Question legal separation in Maine

My husband and I lived in Maine until I left several years ago; he's still there. I am trying to decide whether to pursue a divorce or a legal separation. I've found a helpful do-it-yourself divorce packet for Maine, but nothing about how to file for legal separation. I called the county court and was told that I should consult an attorney because the separation agreement and the petition for judicial separation required specific legal language.

I don't have much money but my spouse and I are intelligent, well educated and willing to separate or divorce without taking each other to court over financial settlements, and our children are adults; I think we could handle this without attorneys if I could just find the necessary legal language for the petition. (I've seen the separation agreement forms on RocketLawyer...) I just can't seem to find that language online. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Escondi is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 326
Here is a link explaining the difference between separation and divorce. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...eparation.html

From my recollection of Family law legal separation is a lot more difficult than simply divorcing and it sounds like you have no desire to get back together so just file a petition seeking to divorce.

You can use books like Nolopress or Bar associations in Maine such as the Maine State Bar Association or the County Bar Association you live in to contact an attorney.

It sounds like you can both go your separate ways and have everything finalized with a divorce. If your kids are over 18 there is no argument regarding child support or custody, which is usually the main issue.

Splitting up your marital assets can be difficult and you may need a lawyer for that.

There is likely a judicial council form that can be used, but you will have to find the right one and check the box. You might to able to get everything you need with one brief visit with an attorney in Maine. Aside from the Bar Associations legalmatch.com might be a good place to find an attorney in your area.
rhinojd is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.