Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Divorce
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
suz

husband having child with mistress

I live in CA and have been married for six years and have two children. I recently found out that my husband was having an affair and the other woman is pregnant. Before proceeding through a divorce, which I'm unsure about, how can I find out if the other woman is really pregnant and not just trying to ruin my marriage. She said she does not want my husband for anything, what are my legal rights and what can i do to either my husband or the other woman?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to GentleGrace
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz View Post
I live in CA and have been married for six years and have two children. I recently found out that my husband was having an affair and the other woman is pregnant. Before proceeding through a divorce, which I'm unsure about, how can I find out if the other woman is really pregnant and not just trying to ruin my marriage. She said she does not want my husband for anything, what are my legal rights and what can i do to either my husband or the other woman?
Whaaaaaatttt? LOL what can you DO to them?? NOTHING.

You need to consider your reasons for getting a divorce---does it matter if she is pregnant or not? Isn't the lying and the cheating the issue? I mean, if she isn't pregnant, you would stay in a relationship with him? The "deal breaker" is a baby? My never to be humble opinion is that your marriage isn't ruined because this woman is pregnant. Your marriage may be over because your spouse lies and cheats.

As far as finding out if the woman is really pregnant---that should be obvious. However, the paternity of the child has to be established. If she really doesn't "want anything" ( which I assure you she will want child support) she will have to have a paternity test done. However, if she puts on the birth certificate that the father of the child is unknown, or if she doesn't seek child support, legally you have no right to know anything about her or the child if she doesn't wish for you to.

As far as knowing what is truth and what is not? You are considering an admittedly unfaithful man and a woman who knows he is married and is having a relationship with him anyway. In my book, if their lips are moving, they are lying. Assume they are lying until it is proven otherwise. As the old adage goes, a man (or woman) isn't a liar because he lies. He lies because he IS a liar. And that is simply my opinion.

You also need to consider what does your husband want to do? Whatever happens has to be a joint decision---if you want to stay with him but he wants to be with her, what you want, then, would be irrelevant. Perhaps some counseling would be in order for both you and your husband before making any legal decisions regarding your future.

To ERR is human.
To FORGIVE is divine.
NEITHER is my policy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!