Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Reporting Sexual Abuse

I posted this in the Family Law forum by mistake. It is probably better off here. Anyway...

A teacher at a local college (I live in California) told me that one of her colleagues told her that when he was employed as a high school teacher, prior to joining the college, that he had *** with his students. The youngest girl was fourteen years old.

I don't know if what he said was true but the teacher who told me believed it to be true. I have met the man in social situations and believe it is possible. However he never told me directly about any sexual improprieties.

I am no longer in contact with either of these teachers but I know they are both still employed at the college. The teacher who told me what she had been told is required to report any reasonable suspicions that a child is being abused. I doubt a report was ever filed. I am not a mandated reporter so I am not required to report such things.

Ever since the Penn State scandal broke I have been bothered by knowing what I know about this teacher. Should I report what I know and to whom would I report?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

You are bothered by "What you know about this man"? Seriously? You know NOTHING but GOSSIP and HEARSAY about this man. You have met him in social situations and based upon a social exchange you "think it could be true"? What was that based on? The color of his tie? His loafers?

Unless you want to be slapped with a libel or slander lawsuit, find PROOF. "She said that he said" means nothing more than you are a shameless gossip. If you're going to ruin a man's life and threaten his livelihood, you owe it to him to at least have SOME shred of proof. Someone told me that he said blah blah isn't proof. SHE may be lying. HE may be lying. Even YOU may be lying. Nonsense.

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

A situation like this is very difficult and nobody can really give you much advice. If your completely wrong a slander lawsuit could be possible http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...d-slander.html . It is very difficult to prove malice and I don't know the extent of your relationship with this teacher, but they may claim you did it due to a vendetta or something.

On the other hand if it is true someone should be made aware of it, but without really knowing the details of the situation it might be risky. For all you know your teacher friend may simply not like this person and claiming he has *** with students is a good way to get back on someone and if you heard this before meeting the individual you likely were looking for them to do something suspicious.

I am just an anonymous internet poster that knows nothing about you, your friend, or the teacher you are discussing, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I would probably wait until you have a little more facts before saying anything. If you really want to do something have the friend who told you tell a higher authority since they made the original claim. Since they have first hand knowledge of the individual and this alleged conversation they should be the one bringing it forward. You hearing something that someone else said is complete hearsay and that person should be the one taking action.