Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question about a first time possession of marijuana charge

So I was hoping someone could help me out with some much needed information/advice.

I was pulled over for a headlight that was out while in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan. My vehicle was searched because the officer smelled marijuana. I admitted I had marijuana in the vehicle and told him exactly where it was and the amount that I had while he was waiting for his back up so he could search. I only had 1 to 1.5 grams in the vehicle.

At this point in time it would have been found; it was not hidden, he had probable cause and I was not given a choice on the search. I was told he was going to search my vehicle, not asked if he could search. I was arrested and charged with possesion of marijuana and operating with a suspended license. I was booked at the Gogebic County Sheriffs Office in Bessemer, MI. I was given field sobriety tests and passed them.

I am not a resident of Michigan, I am a resident of Wisconsin. My license isn't actually suspended, simply expired by a couple months, but I was later told in Michigan an expired license is considered suspended. I have renewed it since the arrest.

Heres where it gets kind of weird. The arresting officer, who was a Michigan State Trooper, called one of the local magistrates at 7 o'clock on a Saturday night and got my bond set at $75 because he knew I only had $80 on me and no access to other money or anyone I could really call at that point in time. Total bail was $750.

The booking officer said bond that low is unheard of. He said the lowest they usually go is $100 and for out of state people it is usually higher then that, around $200 - $250. Both the arresting officer and the booking officer told me seperately that I should call the clerk of courts before the court date to see if they could work something out so I wouldn't have to drive all the way back up to go to court as it is about an hour and a half from where I live.

The booking officer also told me that my alleged offense was about as low as you can go in terms of getting in trouble in the state of Michigan. After being booked and paying bond, I was released and my vehicle was released to me and I was allowed to drive back home to Wisconsin.

My question would be am I just going to be looking at fines and court costs or wat? I know I won't have to serve any time, that kind of goes without saying lol. And because its a first offense and I am out of state I don't believe they can will pull my license and I can't imagine they would mess around with switching probation over state lines for something as insignificant as a gram or so of weed lol. It was a first time offense, I have no previous criminal history, I haven't been arrested, no other traffic violations, I haven't even gotten a parking ticket. My arraignment is this coming week.

Anybody have any ideas? Will I be able to settle out of court? If I do end up going to court will I just have to pay fines and court costs or will it likely be more severe? This is all new to me so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!