Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Victim of theft . . . . Police won't help

Please be advised that I have changed the names mentioned. I lend Maria Mardows my barely used Rug Doctor Wide Track Shampooer, valued new for $690.00. Ms. Mardows was then admitted to the 5th ward (mental ward) at the hospital by her husband Jart. I brought Ms. Mardows home from the hospital where she learned her husband was leaving her. I did ask Ms. Mardows if she would wait a few days before bringing the shampooer to me. She agreed and at the time had her husband’s pickup truck. Her husband repossessed his pickup truck; I then had no way of obtaining the Shampooer from her. During this time, Ms. Mardows was in despair, according to her, she had no place to live, no food, no money. I then lend her money (roughly $100.00) to buy food and have bus fare to find a job. Ms. Mardows informs me she needed to sell some items in her home to buy a car. I gave Ms. Mardows $200.00 for a flat screen TV. In the meantime, to help her all I could, I have given her money here and there. We both agreed instead of paying me the money back, I would buy the TV Stand for the TV and call it even. I’ve approached Ms. Mardows numerous times via text, voice mails, and verbally in reference of me wanting to obtain my items. Ms. Mardows either creates an argument or ignores my texts and voice mails. Ms. Mardows moved out of her resident she shared with her husband and moved in with her friend Larry, who lived down the street from her residency. Ms. Mardows informed me that she moved my items to Larry’s trailer. I continue to make arrangements with friends to pick up my items, informed Ms. Mardows but Ms. Mardows disappeared once again when the day came. Then, one day Ms. Mardows called and asked if she could get a loan on my TV. I refused but with suspicion. Even during this time I continue to help Ms. Mardows by giving her money here and there (roughly $60.00). On two occasions my Valium medication disappeared, when Ms. Mardows was the only one present. The first time she blamed her husband, second time she had to look for them, but then denied knowing of them. Ms. Mardows informed me she was moving out of Larry’s house and disappeared somewhere in the woods. When she returned, she was staying at Linda trailer, who also started borrowing money from me (roughly 50.00) for food and cigarettes. Linda now tells me that as far as she knows, my items are at Ms. Mardows parents house. I tried again numerous times to obtain my items. Finally, Ms. Mardows agreed and was to have informed Larry about me coming to his trailer to do so. I tried numerous times with no answer at Larry’s trailer. When I finally reached Larry, who knew nothing about me coming, he informed me that Ms. Mardows had removed the TV from his resident. The Shampooer and TV stand was still there. I then gave him my telephone number for him to call me when it would be convenient for him to obtain my items. Larry never called, I went back to his trailer, and he now informs me that the Shampooer is no longer there either. I went to move the TV Stand, which now is scratched up; pieces fell off and were infested with roaches. I asked him to fix the stand, air it out and spray it, and call me when I can pick it up. I have not heard from Larry in about month or two now. I then went to the police department, spoke with Officer Albertson, who informed me that this might be a criminal defense. Officer Albertson told me that he would call me and let me know for sure. I waited a day or two with no call from Officer Albertson. I then call the police department, where no one knows what Officer Albertson’s schedule really is, except that he’s off for the next four days. I’ve left voice mail to no avail. I finally reach Officer Albertson, who now informs me that it is not a criminal matter. He also informs me to take my lost and walk away. I asked him about the fact that Ms. Mardows illegally withheld my property and might have pawned them, he then asked me to hold on, and within two minutes he’s back on the phone telling me that he spoke with another police officer who feels the same way. I willingly gave her money for the items, which makes no sense to me. I then asked him for a copy of the police report, so I can at least try to obtain my items. He then tells me that they are not going to give me my items back because I am not the person who pawned them. I insisted that I wanted a copy of the police report, Officer Albertson then inform me that the police don’t give copies of police reports. I want to file a claim at the court house but not sure if I sure due to what the police have told me. Due to illness, bad weather, and lack of financial funds to file a report I haven’t been able to file at the court house. I don’t even know if I still have time too.l
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!