Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Michigan gun ownership

I have a drug felony from 1986 and realize that I may never be allowed access to a firearm to protect my family but my wife and child have no such history and I would like my wife to have the ability to protect herself and our child if necessary. If we were to purchase a fingerprint access gun safe registering only her prints could she purchase a handgun to have in the house.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gun Possession

If you have a felony record does not preclude your wife from owning a firearm. However, your wife has to be registered and she must not allow you to have any access or possession to the weapon. As a felon, you can not own or possess or have any access to such a weapon. If you live together, and your wife wanted to have the weapon in your home, it would require her to keep the weapon out of your possession and control. If she were to keep it in a safe, and you did not possess the key or combination, this should suffice.

The best way would be to have a safe or a secure place that you have no access to and only your wife has access to in order to minimize the risk of being charged with possession of weapon. Research your state laws to get further information since every state has different procedures and requirements.

Talk to an experienced criminal attorney who can advise you before taking any legal action.

**I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY AND THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVISE AND ONLY LEGAL INFORMATION< TALK TO A EXPERIENCED AND LICENSED ATTORNEY BEFORE TAKING ANY LEGAL ACTION BASED ON THIS INFORMATION>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!