Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Accused of shoplifting at the store, police showed up at my house later

Getting straight to it:
- I walked out of Walmart and was approached by 2 men who said they were with the store and they need to talk to me about the items in my pocket.

- I said, "I don't know what items you're talking about," and continued walking to my car.

- One man said, "Call the police," and the other followed me with a notepad, taking my license plate as I drove away.

- Roughly 30 minutes later, the police were at my home, one taller and one shorter. As I answered the door with my girlfriend, the shorter policemen said they were there because the store called, and if I give back the items, no one will get arrested.

- I stood there, and the taller police said, "I don't have time for this. Go get the shit. We've already seen the video of the 2 tins of Pokemon cards and the pack, because apparently you're 4."

- I said, "I'm just wondering what he's talking about when he says 'No one will get arrested.'"

- The taller one said I was going to get arrested but I can make it easy; the shorter one said that wasn't necessary. I went back inside and came out with 2 metal tins of unopened Pokemon cards and an unopened pack.

- When I went back inside, my girlfriend stood at the door and the taller officer told her, "You're going to leave the door open and you're going to stay out of the way."

- They called Walmart and read the upc codes, and asked about orange juice and a DVD. I said I had picked those items up and left them back in the store.

- They asked for my id, searched me, then took me outside, where they had my car blocked in with both of their cars.

- I'm not sure of the importance of the details of everything that was said outside, so to cut to the chase: I said I was getting the cards for my son, and when they asked about the dvd and orange juice again, I again said that I did have them at one time, but circled around all over the store and ultimately left them in the store. The taller officer said that they're going to go back and look at the tape, and if I'm lying, they'll be back to arrest me and take me to jail. This was at around 2:30, 03/25/15.

- I was fingerprinted outside, issued a ticket with a courtdate, and signed a paper acknowledging I was banned from Walmart. I was distraught, so if you were to ask if the paper was an admission of guilt, all I know to say is this: I don't think it was. I think it was just acknowledging that I'm banned.

- I was never arrested, or read rights, or taken away. I never went back in the store after being approached, and never admitted guilt to the officers. I did give them 2 tins of unopened cards and a pack of unopened cards as they mentioned.

I was hoping to get some clarity on what would/could happen in court, because I have no idea.

Does pleading guilty mean I would get arrested in court and go to jail?

Does pleading not guilty mean there's a trial and then it will be worst on me if the trial ends in me being found guilty?

I understand this might sound like a stupid question, but are those the only two possible pleas? Any other options?

Would I need a defense attorney? Or just go myself?

Last edited by Darth; 03-26-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typos, added more info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

I suggest you to take help of defense lawyer..as you may not be aware of the certain terms that be asked or discussed in the court.. so consulting a defense lawyer is a safe option...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!