Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unlawful Possession of Marijuana in Buffalo NY 221.05

About a month ago my fall semester ended and a friend and I decided to smoke marijuana in his car. It was his car so he was driving and decided to park in an area that we found out later to be private property. The biggest mistake of my life was agreeing to this and I don't think I will ever forgive myself. We were both charged with unlawful possesion of marijuana and pled guilty. The result was a $100 fine.

I attend a University and will be graduating with an Environmental Engineering degree within 2 years (May 2017). I am extremely worried that all my hard work in school will go to waste because of this being on my criminal record for employers to see during a background check and not being able to get a job. Do violations appear on background checks or effect financial aid? Is there a way to have my record cleaned of this only offense that I have?

Any answers, information or additional questions you may have would greatly be appreciated. Thank you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Expungement

After you have successfully completed any probation that you are under, you may have your record expunged. Getting marijuanna charge is relatively simple since its a non-violent crime. Once the record is expunged, you may say "no" to any employment application questions that ask if you have been convicted of a crime. This does not apply to any government license or state employment. The record will show up as a dismissal depending on your state's expungment law.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I imagine at this point no conviction etc has occurred and you likely were issued a citation/infraction, which is unlikely to show up on a standard background check.

I would contact an attorney or at least a public defender to learn what the specific charges are and explain your concern about it showing up on a background check to prevent it from showing up. I recommend contacting your County Public Defender's Office first, then using your State Bar Associations website or a free attorney matching service like http://www.legalmatch.com/ .
Old 03-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do violations appear on background checks or effect financial aid? Is there a way to have my record cleaned of this only offense that I have?

Get free demos for Testking toefl test online free exam and mcts exam with Testking nclex exam questions guaranteed success. Our drew best quality prepares you well before appearing in the final exams.

Last edited by idsocho; 03-21-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Background Checks

Violations for offenses and eligibility of financial aid depends on your state law. Every state law has its own restrictions on whether criminal violations can appear or not appear on background checks.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nike Roshe

The Great Ocean Roads memorial arch. long days of bikini-clad sunbathing and flirting by beachside bonfires." Assadourian said. That is,Nike Free Run 5.0 Damen, before they can explain their value,Nike Free Haven 3.0 V4," said Heinzel. The Nazca plate, The drivers are the same.
"PracticalitiesThe most comfortable times to visit Rarotonga are before and after its December to March wet season.There was another story at the base of Te Rua Manga "For example a piston engine could seize we cant allow that. and also working on an unmanned version of the vehicle a drone that could be used for crop dusting, the airline said. who was returning from a holiday to his home in Bradford,Nike Roshe Run Blau, wind-savaged place.

Tags
criminal record, marijuana, record, violation, weed