Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

17 year old ex girlfriend and im over age.

So i had a relationship with a girl a little more then a year ago. She is 18 now she turned 18 in late October there were difficult times but nothing ever happened the girls parents told me that they filed a report but nothing ever happened with that. Then a few weeks ago i went to go visit her parents to talk about the situation i really needed to resolve that and put it in the past. i visited their house but i did not find them. So i couldn't really talk to them. Then two days ago a detective called me to see if we could talk about my girlfriend Melissa but i found that odd. So i went to go talk to the detective and we talked and he asked me questions. He asked if we had *** or stuff like that and i told him we didn't because we did not. Then he got mad at me like i had lied to him he told me to be honest then he told me that. in the report they had that we would have *** frequently at her house. but that's not true we talked about it and we tried twice but both times i really could not get myself to do it. I could not get it up i just could not because it felt wrong... i didnt want to do that with her then. not like that. basically what did was prepare our selves for *** but we didnt get undressed and i didnt even take it out of my pants i didnt i just could not. Then that happened twice we failed both times. the detective also asked if we had oral *** but he just simply seemed to act like he knew alot about what had happened the think i wonder is if they knew so much why did they not procede with the arrest or something back then why now that shes 18 can they still persue this case now that shes 18.

The fact is she was 17 back then i was 27 and we talked about *** and largely considered it but never had ***. we did try but did not show ourselves to each other. can they still file that kind of a report if she is 18 now?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

They might best thing is to not say anything to anyone. The Police have the burden of proving anything and for a statutory rape charge they might be trying to get an easy confession from you, but I doubt the Police woudl pursue it much more than that.

To protect yourself next time anyone asks you about your relationship say you will not answer anything without an attorney. This will invoke your sixth amendment right and Police cannot ask you anything more until an attorney is present.

Police will always try to trick you into confessing act friendly etc, but they are trying to get you to incriminate yourself. Here is an article explaining your sixth amendment rights. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...-attorney.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you are they able to still do this even tho shes 18?

Thank you for your advice.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Statute of Limitations concern

This question has to concern statute of limitation laws. Even though this would not sound like a criminal act, it could be categorized as an "attempted crime" since there was a substantial step in the commission of the alleged act.

When dealing with when the criminal conduct can be prosecuted, the state and the prosecution has the upperhand in if they want to bring the charges against a defendant and the victim only has the option to participate.

If you want to know whether charges can still be brought, its best to check the statutory limitations for prosecutions in your state and whether the time to bring criminal action has passed.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Im in California the case is we never had *** but they seemed to be saying that we did.... in any even how can they prove something. i agree i know this can get bad i guess but it depends on them i suppose.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

They may be able to punish you if you did something with a girl under 18, but there is literally no way for anyone to prove it unless you talk about it. The Police cannot force you to say anything and if you are event interrogated or the Police ask you questions immediately say I want a lawyer.

A lawyer will simple tell you not to say anything and then the Police will have no case and go on to something else.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Then that happened twice we failed both times. the detective also asked if we had oral *** but he just simply seemed to act like he knew alot about what had happened the think i wonder is if they knew so much why did they not procede with the arrest or something back then why now that shes 18 can they still persue this case now that shes 18.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Its ok, don't take load. Enjoy the life.