Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

suit

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][/FONT]I was charged with domestic violence,obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.Had a jury trial and was found not guilty.I WAS TASERED,SENT TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM BECAUSE OF THE DAMAGE FROM HANDCUFFS AND LOST MY JOB BY MISSING TOO MANY DAYS.Can I sue?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hire a lawyer experienced in Title 42, Section 1983, which deals with civil liability , in part, that of police officers acting under color of the law.

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

One more thing..be advised that being found not guilty is not the same as being innocent.

Just because a jury found you not guilty does not mean that the police acted improperly.

Look at OJ Simpson.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Old 04-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleGrace View Post
One more thing..be advised that being found not guilty is not the same as being innocent.

Just because a jury found you not guilty does not mean that the police acted improperly.

Look at OJ Simpson.
Thanks for the reply.Question,if I never waived my right to speedy trial,yet they went over the state allowed time (and I have paper work to prove ALL of this) can I sue?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Holmes View Post
Thanks for the reply.Question,if I never waived my right to speedy trial,yet they went over the state allowed time (and I have paper work to prove ALL of this) can I sue?
Not sure you can win a lawsuit--you can sue for anything.

You should have been able to have the charges dismissed BEFORE it went to trial on the grounds it went over the time required.

Did you ask for a dismissal of the charges beforehand?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

I filed to have it dissmissed twice and was denied.No reason given.I beleive that they were just abusing their power.Thats why I asked could they be sued in a civil lawsuit for violating my rights according to the 6th amendment?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

If two judges have ruled against your motion to dismiss, it may be that there is no legal basis for your claim. Had it been just one judge? Perhaps. But, two judges? The chances of TWO judges being biased isn't that likely, in my opinion.

Like I said, you can sue for anything you want. But the odds of prevailing? Not sure anyone can predict that.

Good luck.