|New to LegalMatch Forums? Join our community today|
|Find a Lawyer Now By Category:|
|Family & Divorce||Criminal Defense||Job & Employment||Personal Injury||LegalMatch on Facebook|
|Real Estate Lawyers||Immigration||Business Lawyers||Other Lawyers||LegalMatch on Twitter|
|LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential|
||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|10-04-2008, 12:32 AM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Oct 2008
Got my 16 Y.O. girlfriend pregnant
Here's the rundown of my situation:
1. I'm 18 and I got my 16 year old girlfriend pregnant. The difference in our ages is 2 years 3 months.
2. We live in California
3. Her parents are threatening me to marry her within a months time or they will report statutory rape to the authorities.
If I'm reported, then...
1. What's the likelihood that the D.A. will press charges?
2. Should I be convicted, what kind of jail time or fines will I incur?
3. If I am incarcerated while my girlfriend gives birth, do I have custody rights to the child?
I know I was wreckless to have gotten myself into this situation, but I wholeheartedly believe that a shotgun wedding would be even more wreckless. I've never had any trouble with the law before, and the possibility that I may be charged with statutory rape scares the hell out of me. I read elsewhere that I can lose custody rights if I don't support the mother during and after pregnancy, but if I'm locked up, how can I be supportive? Would being in the slammer constitute me as a negligent father that abandoned his child? I have every intention of being there for my girlfriend and my child, but I don't want to get married just yet. I'm looking for some helpful advice, not a lecture. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.