Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Growing Marijuana in Colorado

Hello,

I have a friend that is about to start growing marijuana, and is being as smart about this as possible. He is wanting to do it as a attorney would do it. he has been reading on interenet and have learned that many charges get dropped when growing marijuana if grow for medical purposes, is there some kind of license you apply for? Also my friend is wanting to grow enough to pay the bills meaning around 2,000 a month or so. Nothing on the level of Drug lord or anything, just enough to pay bills.

Secondly, how many plants will be considered a felony? a misdemeanor? Also how much weed must you have also in order to be considered a felong or misdemeanor?

Now, I have heard of several rumors on how someone gets caught growing marijuana, I have heard that you can get caught by DEA driving around with Heat detecting devices and if they see excessive heat in one specific area in your home they can they begin to watch. Another is by working with Xcel energy and in seeing who is using energy very excessively.

Now I dont know how true the above items are, frankly I think the only way to get caught is by being snitched out.

My friend is wanting to seek legal advice as well, he would like to meet with someone who can give the DO's and DONTs of marijuana growth. Again he is trying to do this the smartest way possible.

also one last thing, he does have a small child living at property, approx 2 years old, how does this effect him? Can child be taken from social services?

any advice would be greatly appreciated, too bad bush screwed up economy or else my friend would not need to grow weed to pay for bills.

thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

be careful

Ur "friend" better be real careful. Those arent myths. The national gaurd does fly overs as well with infa-red. But snitching is the number one thing to worry about also if they come to the house looking for someone they can look around. NOthing should ever be in plain sight. And yes if there are kids involved there would be complications with that as well. In my state any plants is a felony, up to 20 is 4 yrs then after that its 7yrs im not sure how far it goes, look up sentencing guidlines for marijuana in your state

Last edited by chrisintrouble; 07-07-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: forgot something
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you for advice,

well I didnt know about the national guard thing, I wonder how often they do this? as far as the snitching goes my friend has a plan that involves him and 2 other people that would never roll over as far as if they were to get caught. These 2 people have been selected for this purpose. They are going to be ones getting rid of the goods.

Now as far as infra red, how does this work? by heat? is there any kind of material you may put around the "room" so this is not detected? My friend will make sure no one is ever in his basement so he can sleep with more ease at night.
thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

"I want to break the law just a little, about $2,000 a month or so, just enough to pay my bills. "

ARE YOU KIDDING?

I suggest you consult with an attorney. No one here is going to give their stamp of approval on what you are asking. Oh, and it is even more of a travesty that it is being done where there are precious children at risk.

I'm a widow with seven children---and have yet to break the law, period--including speeding tickets. Never. I did radical things like get an education, go to law school---silly me. I should have just broken out the ole' gardening gloves and blamed George Bush.

Here is an idea, if you want reliable advice---call your police department and ask them. (for your friend, yanno). They can tell ya really quickly what you can and cannot do.

You won't find an attorney telling you here how to do it.

(shaking head)

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Old 07-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Einstein has LEFT the building.

I would suggest that you both discuss this elsewhere---a LEGAL FORUM is hardly the place for swapping tips on how to grow illegal substances or how to 'move the goods'. That isn't the purpose of this forum.

I'm sure you both read the terms of service when you registered where you gave your EMAIL address and I'm sure you read where this site logs IP numbers and what are you two Einsteins doing? Discussing how to "get rid of the goods". Has it occurred to either of you that someone HERE could report you? IP numbers do not lie. You are worried about snitching, so what do ya do? POST IT HERE for millions of people to read.

Smart. Really smart. (not).

I'd take it elsewhere if I were you.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

hahah the bush thing was not a serious statement, kinda.

I mean several americans can agree when I say the economy, gas prices, housing market had never been as bad as it is now. But yes, not everyone is blessed enough to have time to go to school and pickup a degree reall quick.

But I did not post this to argue with people, now on what you said about the infra-red and heat seeking items, I honestly thought this was all a myth. I know many people that grow marijuana and have never been caught and are running on several years in doing this. I wonder how often they have the national guard fly over with infra-red.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf242724 View Post
hahah the bush thing was not a serious statement, kinda.

I mean several americans can agree when I say the economy, gas prices, housing market had never been as bad as it is now. But yes, not everyone is blessed enough to have time to go to school and pickup a degree reall quick.

But I did not post this to argue with people, now on what you said about the infra-red and heat seeking items, I honestly thought this was all a myth. I know many people that grow marijuana and have never been caught and are running on several years in doing this. I wonder how often they have the national guard fly over with infra-red.
It isn't just the National Guard that has access to these tools.

Well, going to school "real" quick isn't an option for anyone. Some people just , oh, I dunno, plan their lives and the path it takes. Mine started 20 years ago with a college degree and when my youngest was a few years old, I returned and got a Masters degree specializing in criminal law, then law school. So, none of it happened really quickly. Also, life has a way of making unexpected turns--I never planned to be widowed at a relatively young age---and am raising and homeschooling seven kids----but I have my education to fall back on to secure employment if needs be. I didn't "need" to work while my husband was alive--but I PLANNED for the possibility that day might come---and unfortunately, he was killed shortly after I began law school. My point is maybe at your age it would be better to think of a longer term goal instead of a quick and easy fix for something that is a long term "problem"--- LIFE. And I certainly wouldn't jeopardize my chances at living a full life by doing something as risky as growing illegal substances.

But I agree--prices are out of control and I worry as much as the next guy. But subscribe to The End Justifies The Means philosophy? Na. I have my dignity and a clean record. And I'm not trading it.

Seriously----think ahead a bit. Life is long ( hopefully ) You need a plan. The one you have isn't a good one on very many levels.

(adjusting my brown librarian glasses on the tip of my nose)

Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

yes I can hear what you are saying and yes you were fortuante and smart enough to do all of this....I can tell you have a head on your shoulders by how you write and so forth.

But I dunno, it was just a thought for my friend in how to get by till things get better. He just wanted that little push to get him back on his feet. and figure do this as smart as possible.

but he never once thought that the national guard really has infra-red and thought pretty much the only way to get caught was having someone snitch him out.

he is reconsidering his idea.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

but it is just hard on my friend because he was involved in the mortgage industry and as you may know that has went to waste, his 6 figure income is now gone and is still trying to figure out a way to keep up with bills while gas prices are up, employement is down, and house values ****. Now he figure this would be good idea to get by till the shit is through, then at that time quit.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf242724 View Post
yes I can hear what you are saying and yes you were fortuante and smart enough to do all of this....I can tell you have a head on your shoulders by how you write and so forth.

But I dunno, it was just a thought for my friend in how to get by till things get better. He just wanted that little push to get him back on his feet. and figure do this as smart as possible.

but he never once thought that the national guard really has infra-red and thought pretty much the only way to get caught was having someone snitch him out.

he is reconsidering his idea.

I have unfortunate news for you--things NEVER "get better" LOL Life keeps coming at you ( if you are lucky ) fast and hard. AND, choosing something to do to "get by" would be stocking shelves, cutting grass, etc. NOT a serious drug charge that can take away your ENTIRE future.

Is it worth the possibility of getting caught and spending a VERY long time in jail?

Only you can make that determination.

There is an old saying that goes, "Don't sacrifice the permanent on the altar of the immediate". In other words don't risk everything for a quick stop gap solution.

Good luck.