Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

caught with 4 pot plants in michigan

my girlfriend and i were arguing and she got mad and called the police and said i was assaulting her to get them to come to the house. I left before they got there. They took the 4 plants which were not mature but im sure that doesnt matter much. Well i need some information regarding what might happen to me. My girlfriend said she didnt sign any statments, does that have any influence as to what might happen? Also i have heard that something similar happened to someone i know and nothing resulted from it. What are the chances this might happen?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisintrouble View Post
my girlfriend and i were arguing and she got mad and called the police and said i was assaulting her to get them to come to the house. I left before they got there. They took the 4 plants which were not mature but im sure that doesnt matter much. Well i need some information regarding what might happen to me. My girlfriend said she didnt sign any statments, does that have any influence as to what might happen? Also i have heard that something similar happened to someone i know and nothing resulted from it. What are the chances this might happen?

First of all, whose dwelling ( house, apartment, trailer) is it? Yours? Hers? If it was your joint dwelling, she could be charged as well as you. What were you charged with? And no, her signing something or her pressing charges against you isn't relevant---the state will be bringing the charges.

You said the police found pot plants at someone else's house and didn't do anything else about it? I wouldn't use that to make me feel better.

Have you been charged? Has she?

Never underestimate the spitefulness of a scorned woman.

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

thankyou for responding

we live together in an apartment. as far as i know i havent been charged with anything. I havent been arrested yet. I wasnt there when the police showed up. ive heard that its a 4yr felony here, what kind of chance do i have to maybe get the charges reduced to a misdemeanor?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldnt worry about it much, if they were going to do something they would have done it by now, when did this happen?

since plants were not mature I think you should be ok.

I just posted this comment on another page about my friend

Hello,

I have a friend that is about to start growing marijuana, and is being as smart about this as possible. He is wanting to do it as a attorney would do it. he has been reading on interenet and have learned that many charges get dropped when growing marijuana if grow for medical purposes, is there some kind of license you apply for? Also my friend is wanting to grow enough to pay the bills meaning around 2,000 a month or so. Nothing on the level of Drug lord or anything, just enough to pay bills.

Secondly, how many plants will be considered a felony? a misdemeanor? Also how much weed must you have also in order to be considered a felong or misdemeanor?

Now, I have heard of several rumors on how someone gets caught growing marijuana, I have heard that you can get caught by DEA driving around with Heat detecting devices and if they see excessive heat in one specific area in your home they can they begin to watch. Another is by working with Xcel energy and in seeing who is using energy very excessively.

Now I dont know how true the above items are, frankly I think the only way to get caught is by being snitched out.

My friend is wanting to seek legal advice as well, he would like to meet with someone who can give the DO's and DONTs of marijuana growth. Again he is trying to do this the smartest way possible.

also one last thing, he does have a small child living at property, approx 2 years old, how does this effect him? Can child be taken from social services?

any advice would be greatly appreciated, too bad bush screwed up economy or else my friend would not need to grow weed to pay for bills.

thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

i read that one

it happened on the 4th. so ive been trying to lay low....im worried theyre gonna come arrest me before i can get a lawyer.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am going to ignore the balance of the other posters reply----blaming the president of the USA for being forced to grow weed? Oh, brother. I'm a widow with seven kids and I don't resort to illegal means to support my family. Go to school, get a job, work hard and be rewarded accordingly. Oh, and yes there are devices such as the heat seeking ones you mentioned that can detect plants such as this, but the constitutionality has been and is being challenged.

But, I digress.

To the original poster, the fact that you HAVEN'T been charged yet doesn't mean that you WON'T be charged. I cannot imagine the courts routinely turning a blind eye toward "unmature" plants---your intent was to produce the substance, and had they not intevened, you would have.

Bottom line: growing marijuana is a violation of 21 U.S.C. § 841(a)(1). I haven't taken the time to read the law, but I suspect it doesn't go into great detail about how many inches high the plants might be. Small or large, they are still marijuana. While I am not personally familiar with arguments regarding the SIZE of the plants, I do know of and have read case law pertaining to the NUMBER of plants--which isn't an issue in this case.

That being said, I would consult with an attorney in your area since you COULD be facing serious charges. Most attorney's offer low cost or free consultations initially. I wouldn't rest my laurels on the word of someone who blames the the government for his being forced to have to grow illegal substances.

For that matter--don't take my word for it either. Call an attorney--no one online can predict what the court may or may not do. I wouldn't EVER assume I was in the clear--they may just be building an airtight case against you.

Good luck.

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]