Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Criminal Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

DUI driver with suspended license and mopeds

My son has a suspended license and has been told he can drive a moped legally If the moped/scooter is 50cc or less. I have tried to verify this with the Michigan SOS and they say no to all mopeds regardless of cc's. the actual rules posted on the website indicate a valid license is required for 100cc. The clerk I spoke to said it didn't matter; he could not obtain a moped license if his current license is suspended for non-medical reasons.
Has anyone heard about this distinction and is it valid?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know the exact answer, but it sounds like everyone you have spoken to in a position of authority with the State of Michigan has said he needs a valid driver's license, which would make sense.

I imagine the state has not gone to the trouble of making disticintions between CC's for DUI's if you really wanted to push the envelope you might find a loophole, but he is probably best taking the appropriate steps to getting his regular license back, but that is just my two cents.

Perhaps you could contact a DUI defense attorney in your area and here is a list of some preliminary info from each state on DUI issues. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...uspension.html

Hopefully everything gets resolved and your son will learn his lesson and never drive drunk again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

The state hasn't "gone to the trouble" of distinguishing between fifty and a hundred cc's? Geez....the only correct thing you said was "I do not know the answer".

The time it took you to write a WRONG answer, you could have GOOGLED Michigan law where it clearly states, "You are not eligible for a moped license if your operator or chauffeur license is suspended, revoked or denied unless the suspension is for a medical reason."

The reference to 100 cc is NOT in reference to the suspended license-- it is in reference to DESCRIBING what a MOPED is and can and cannot be. "A moped is a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with a motor not exceeding 100cc engine displacement. ". It's all there on their web site. I know--why look something up when you can just GUESS, eh?

SOS - Mopeds

While you mock legitimate (and correct) answers provided for posters, consider YOUR recopying and repasting links that are ALREADY AVAILABLE to users of this site --as though it makes sense to waste bandwidth REPOSTING them?

Bless your heart.

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Any motor driven cycle with an engine not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters (3.05 cubic inches), or two brake horsepower, that can propel the cycle at a speed not to exceed 30 miles per hour (MPH) and does not require clutching or shifting. The cycle may be equipped with two or three wheels and with or without foot pedals to allow for human muscular propulsion.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Actually, a colleague had a similar experience a few months back and it really got him in a tight situation, but from what I heard, he resolved his case. I just don't know if it's sheer luck or the fact that Arizona's top DUI law firm, the Arizona DUI Team helped him get out of it. I believe it's the latter.