LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums

LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums (http://forums.legalmatch.com/)
-   Criminal Law (http://forums.legalmatch.com/criminal-law/)
-   -   car accident while driving without a license (http://forums.legalmatch.com/criminal-law/1418-car-accident-while-driving-without-license.html)

bronson 11-04-2006 01:05 PM

car accident while driving without a license
 
ok... here goes... i'm very scared right now...... last night i got into a car accident while coming home from work at the mall. i bumped into a young man's car and the young man's car hit another car in front of him which was operated by an older gentleman. i was driving without a license. the young man called me today and said he was going to report it to his insurance company. he asked me for my insurance stuff.... i freaked because the car i was driving belonged to my parents so i told him the policy number and everything. i then called the older gentleman, and he told me that everything was fine on his end but can not speak for the young man in the middle..... i need some help on what i should do now...... my license test is next thursday also and if the young man reports its i might have my license revoked and go to jail and basically my life is ruined.... i can kiss my dream of being a police officer good bye.... PLEASE HELP!!!

Westside Law 11-04-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronson
ok... here goes... i'm very scared right now...... last night i got into a car accident while coming home from work at the mall. i bumped into a young man's car and the young man's car hit another car in front of him which was operated by an older gentleman. i was driving without a license. the young man called me today and said he was going to report it to his insurance company. he asked me for my insurance stuff.... i freaked because the car i was driving belonged to my parents so i told him the policy number and everything. i then called the older gentleman, and he told me that everything was fine on his end but can not speak for the young man in the middle..... i need some help on what i should do now...... my license test is next thursday also and if the young man reports its i might have my license revoked and go to jail and basically my life is ruined.... i can kiss my dream of being a police officer good bye.... PLEASE HELP!!!


First, you didn't tell us your State name. Second, how would you like us to help you?

bronson 11-04-2006 01:23 PM

um... i live in california... if u were asking for my state...... my name is bronson and i just want to know what i should do right now... i'm really scared and don't want to go to jail.... i feel harrassed by the guy reporting it to the insurance company right now although i know it was my fault.... he also said his girlfriend had a headache last night... is he trying to get money out of me?? what should i tell him?

Westside Law 11-04-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronson
um... i live in california... if u were asking for my state...... my name is bronson and i just want to know what i should do right now... i'm really scared and don't want to go to jail

There's nothing you can do. The deed was already done. The fact is, you didn't have a license; i.e., you had no right to be on the roads driving a vehicle.

Your insurance company may not pay any claims. Check the policy, but I believe an insurance company can deny a claim based upon an unlicensed driver's accident with an insured vehicle.

So, you're probably looking at both a Civil lawsuit for damages, along with the owner of the vehicle being sued, and a Criminal action. You may, in fact, wind up doing some jail time because damages were caused while you were committing an unlawful act.

Good luck.

bronson 11-04-2006 01:36 PM

there were no damages to his car or my car at all.... aww man.... i'm so screwed.... i don't want to go to jail... i'm also just 17 years old... my birth day is coming up next week.... if they put me on trial, will they try me as an adult or as a minor?

Westside Law 11-04-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronson
there were no damages to his car or my car at all.... aww man.... i'm so screwed.... i don't want to go to jail... i'm also just 17 years old... my birth day is coming up next week.... if they put me on trial, will they try me as an adult or as a minor?


"Damages" are not merely physical dents to a vehicle. Damages also include injuries to human beings, and any loss of wages. Remember, one of those people called their insurance company and, if they pay money to their insured for anything, car, medical, wages, or combination thereof, that insurance company is going after you for reimbursement. Also, they will report the same to the State, and the County where this happened, getting the authorities involved.

Also, the owner of your vehicle is "on the hook" for in a Civil claim for their "negligent entrustment" of the vehicle to you.

If your vehicle owner's liability insurance denies the claim, not only are you on your own for both the Civil and Criminal aspects, but you'll need to hire your own attorney at your own expense. In the Criminal matter, you'll more than likely be tried as a minor.

This entire scenario doesn't bode well for you.

bronson 11-04-2006 01:51 PM

i understand the situation... thank you for helping me..... is there anyway of me taking all the blame and going to jail instead of giving my parents even more pressure than they have now? by the way... there was a minor injury, the driver's girlfriend had a headache, thats what he told me, can they use that against me in terms of "damages"?

GentleGrace 11-04-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronson
i understand the situation... thank you for helping me..... is there anyway of me taking all the blame and going to jail instead of giving my parents even more pressure than they have now? by the way... there was a minor injury, the driver's girlfriend had a headache, thats what he told me, can they use that against me in terms of "damages"?

[COLOR=Magenta]I'm having trouble with your use of the words "bumped into". Obviously, you hit a vehicle hard enough for it to be pushed into another vehicle. You may not be aware of this but relatively minor car injuries, depending on where they are on the body, can turn out to be something of great magnitude.
A careless driver hit me and I had a head injury from a bolt on the frame of my convertible. The result of this non-life threatening injury that didn't even require stitches is that it has affected my memory and my ability to process information. So now, at a relatively young age, I am taking medicine traditionally given to Alzheimer's patients in an attempt to regain my former mental acuity. This has also resulted in my having to drop out of graduate school temporarily--it is impossible to write a fifty page thesis when you cannot remember where you put your shoes when you took them off. I say all of this to say, simply, please don't discount a minor injury, especially one that involves the head. I don't mean to say the woman has been irreparably damaged--she is probably fine. I am merely saying that it happens. I know because I am living it. And one of the most hurtful things about all of this has been the attitude of the young man who hit me. He went on with his life after a few days and my life has been irrevocably changed.

I hope, at least, you have learned from this. But, I suspect there will be no easy or comfortable outcome of all of this for you. The disappointment and mistrust your parents must feel for your actions will and should weigh heavily on your shoulders for a long time to come.

I wish you luck. [/COLOR]

bronson 11-06-2006 11:50 AM

ok... i got a call from the insurance company today... the guy reported only "property damage" for scratches and wants me to pay for his repairs... should i tell him to bring the car to somewhere i know well to be fixed? cause i'm afraid that this guy will try to jib unneccesary money out of me.....

lsulawschool 11-06-2006 03:33 PM

lsu
 
There's no law stating he has to get his car fixed.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.