Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Child Custody and Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rosamond, CA
Posts: 1
New Child Support Order Threatening My Job


Here's my story:

My wife Trinity and I separated in 2004 while I was in the United States Air Force and since then I have been giving her child support, directly. This was most recently verified by the Supreme Court in San Antonio, TX. So, from 2004 until now, I have sent her almost $100,000.00 of my hard earned money so that she can feed and clothe our children while she goes to school to earn a veteranarian’s technician license. I have been an honest and supportive father for my kids, but seemingly to no means according to our county. So, as it stands, despite what I’ve paid to Trinity in support, I now owe over $9,000 in back child support from only last year with the premise that I have neglected these duties, plus a %50 wage garnishment of my disposable income without my mortgage factored in. I’ve spoken with my case worker and she is trying to help me, I guess, but I feel she’s being dismissive and lacks any compassion. Maybe her case load is very high. Well, with all this happening, here is what’s at risk for me, the supporter, which, of course, directly impacts my children:

1. I'm showing a 120 day delinquency on my credit report which must be reported to my security manager and could result in a suspension of my Top Secret security clearance which is an occupational requirement.

2. A notice has been sent to the DMV to suspend my drivers license unless I pay off the debt or some amount ordered to me by Child Support Services. With the new garnishments, I not have less than zero dollars in my account. I live in Rosamond and work at Edwards AFB. Not only will I not be able to drive to work and earn a living, but a suspended license is also an event reportable to my security manager, which, again, can result in the suspension of my security clearance, which, again, threatens my employment.

3. With the new garnishment of my wages I will not be able to afford the house I bought for my children's visits and might have to foreclose on it. A foreclosure will definitely result in the suspension of my security clearance for the amount of time an investigation takes to determine wether or not I am still of sound character and not a liability to the United States government and its interests.

I am a contractor for the United States Air Force and work with customers and other agencies with a mission that more closely protects the integrity of our nation’s defenses than most other organisation. I was enlisted in the United States Air Force and have nothing but the highest ratings. I am also a United States Air Force Reservist. Now, while I was in the service and as a Reservist, I've very rarely used my status for discounts or any other special benefits. I hate to think that the choices I’ve made in my life and the hard work I’ve put in with the welfare of my children in mind would amount to my being unemployed, unable to further support even myself.

So, what can I do that I haven't already tried? I even wrote a letter to our mayor...

Last edited by Owl; 07-29-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Grammar
Owl is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Wow, I'm really not sure about this one. It seems so wrong though. Have you consulted with a lawyer, one that has experience with these types of cases? If not, I would. Also, research online and see what info you can find for your state. A lot of attorney's offer free consults also if you need that.
Best of luck!
EastCoastGal is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.