Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Child Custody and Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Can my daughters grandmother keep me from my daughter ????

OK here is the situation in short story version. I have a 13 year old daughter that was given to her father (Bryan). So he has full custody. It started 7 years ago I was dealing with CPS for my son. My son and daughter have different dads. So when CPS came into our lives Bryan was able to take Jocelyn my daughter but I had to fight for my son because his father was no where around I went to court with my grandparents who were raising my daughter since she was 2. Because I was making very bad choices in my life and was using drugs on almost a daily basis. So it was the best place for her. So once jocelyns dads mother found out about the CPS she made Bryan file for custody. When we went to court my grandparents were fighting for custody to..well my grandparents lost and he got full custody. But because of my cps case I I was alowed to see my daughter every other weekend when my grandparents got her for the weekend. ( I was living with my grandparents still) so I was to have supervised visits till the CP's case was done. But I ended up allowing my sons foster parents to adopt him. Because it was for the best he loved them and they loved him. So the case was closed. But I still didn't clean up my act until 3 years ago when I lost both of my grandparents. It was very hard on my. Ended up making a dumb choice and ended up in one of the hardest programs adult probation and the state of az has. Drug Court. Now since my gradparents passed I was no longer allowed to see my daughter. And that was Bryan's mothers decision not bryans. But he does whatever his mother said . my daughter lives with his mother and always has been even though he has custody. So I changed my life around . I will be graduating from the drug court program in 12weeks. And I have been clean for a year and 7 months and I'm doing great. Now through this time I have messages my daughter at least once or twice every week. But all my messages had to go through his mom. So I'm not sure she even got any of them . and now out of nowhere his mother tells me to quit contacting her she doesn't want me calling or leaving messages anymore and I continue to she will call the courts for me harrassing. When I have been so very respectful every time u have ever contacted her. I just did to ask how she was doing . and most of the time it was to ask her to tell my daughter thatvi loved and missed her so much. Or Merry Xmas or happy birthday and that's it. Now she changed her number. Do I still have the right to fight for visitation or atleast to have phone calls ? Can she just disappear with my daughter because of my past? What can I do ? Where do u start?
jaimemm78 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 326
Yes you should be able to unless your parental rights were terminated and even then they might be able to be reinstated.

The place to start would probably be filing for a modification of custody and with your past it is unlikely you will start with substantial custody and you may only be granted joint legal custody and the other parents sole physical custody, but that is a start as it will allow you to have some involvement in your child's life. Here is an article explaining child custody modification. . http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...ion-order.html

You probably want to reach out to your local bar association or use a free attorney matching service like http://www.legalmatch.com/ to get the ball rolling. Hopefully, everything works out and you stay on the right path.
rhinojd is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.