Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Child Custody and Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Child Support from State to State

My Court Ordered Child Support was initiated in Florida in 1996. I have the documents that states that it ends when my son turns 18. He is now 18. In 2001, him and his mother moved to New Jersey. His mother says that I still have to pay until he is 23 as long as he is enrolled in college. There are no documents for child support in New Jersey.
Can she take me to court for the extension?
I do plan on helping to pay for his college but I don't want any money going to her.

Rick
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think you should go to the nearest legal office in your place and ask those things to them. Also try talking to the mother of your son.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Marbella..... I was hoping for some legal advice. This is a forum for that, correct?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Every state I am aware of terminates Child support at the age of 18 or upon graduation from high school. The mother might be telling you to continue paying child support, but if you have an order saying support stops at 18 it stops at 18.

Let her file a modification of Child Support. However, just to be safe you might want to call the court clerk of where this order stemmed from and confirm the order terminates at 18. They might not tell you over the phone and if you really want to dot all your I's and cross your T's you might want to request a hearing official terminating child support. Here is an article explaining the various ways support can be terminated. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...d-support.html

Good luck in getting this taken care of.