Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Child Custody and Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Negotiation conference

My daughter's mother(we were never married) reuqested a review(negotiation conference) of my current child support----------because she said she needs more money-----------she says she is having a hard time making it.

Anyways, we had it rescheduled(which she agreed to) and she didn't show up. The lady at the review told me that nothing was going to be done and no changes were going to be made because she didn't show up. Then I was notified that this is going to court(I get screwed twice--------------my child support will go up and I have to pay the court costs)

Isn't there something that can be done about fathers getting screwed---------------also, I noticed how the state(Texas) sets up child support payments-------------if the amount you are to pay is 600 and you get paid biweekly, it is set up so will you will always be paying less each month than what you actually owe(they say the set it up on a 52payments(based on being paid weekly or 26(biweekly) payment plan which means you are always paying less than what you actually owe. This in turn screws the father because he will always have arrears to deal with and the state charges interest on the balance(6.25%)-------------So, you are not only getting screwed by the state, you are getting screwed by the mother.

I am all for paying child support---------------I love my daughter very much---------------------BUT, why should I be penalized for her not showing up to this mediation hearing?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to GentleGrace
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieV View Post
My daughter's mother(we were never married) reuqested a review(negotiation conference) of my current child support----------because she said she needs more money-----------she says she is having a hard time making it.

Anyways, we had it rescheduled(which she agreed to) and she didn't show up. The lady at the review told me that nothing was going to be done and no changes were going to be made because she didn't show up. Then I was notified that this is going to court(I get screwed twice--------------my child support will go up and I have to pay the court costs)

Isn't there something that can be done about fathers getting screwed---------------also, I noticed how the state(Texas) sets up child support payments-------------if the amount you are to pay is 600 and you get paid biweekly, it is set up so will you will always be paying less each month than what you actually owe(they say the set it up on a 52payments(based on being paid weekly or 26(biweekly) payment plan which means you are always paying less than what you actually owe. This in turn screws the father because he will always have arrears to deal with and the state charges interest on the balance(6.25%)-------------So, you are not only getting screwed by the state, you are getting screwed by the mother.

I am all for paying child support---------------I love my daughter very much---------------------BUT, why should I be penalized for her not showing up to this mediation hearing?

Unfortunately, no one here can answer that rhetorical question for you. The only way for the system to be fair is to choose carefully the person with whom you have children. Marry them, and commit to stay married to them and leave the court out of it. That is the primary answer-----the courts (and our tax dollars) are playing referee between people who brought kids into relationships without the benefit of marriage or commitment and the result is disaster, dissention and bickering.

I understand your frustration with the system---but no one here can do anything about that. Write to your law makers in your jurisdiction and express your concerns. That is, in part, how laws are affected.

But, don't expect a third party to step into a personal situation that (presumably) adults created and expect them to arbitrate fairly. That isn't how it works and yes, I agree, it is lousy.

The only way to avoid this unfairness is to do as I said. Choose wisely, carefully, and when you choose, commit to it, no matter what. Leave the courts out of it. Believe it or not it IS possible and it CAN be done. Aside from that, fathers get a bad rap most of the time. I agree.

To ERR is human.
To FORGIVE is divine.
NEITHER is my policy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!