Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Family Law Forum > Child Custody and Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Do I still need to pay ex Child Support???

I am a father of 3 children of whom I am fighting for custody without an attorney. I have been divorced for almost 9 years and am court ordered to pay child support. However in Feb. of last year my 13 year old son came to live with me. 2 months ago we went to court and the courts ordered that my 2 sons could stay with me and only my youngest had to visit his mother every other weekend. I was told my daughter was to stay with her mom and visit me every other weekend. However on the day we went to court my ex called my daughter and said "well you got your wish, you don't have to visit me anymore and you don't even have to call if you don't want to". My daughter has been with me since that day and has seen her mom for a total of 2 days. Her mother is recently divorced from her second husband and has a new boyfriend living with her. My ex mention child support during our first hearing and the judge shrugged it off. Should I still be paying her? We have a "hearing" today but I am not sure what a "hearing" entails. Any answers would be appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need to continue to pay child support until the court orders you not to. Assuming the court orders this then you can ask the judge to have her pay the amount that was paid to her while the children were living with her.

Who knows if all this will fall into place. Not having an attorney is not smart in situations like these. Good luck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

My exwifes attorney brought up the fact that I had not been paying child support during the first hearing. The judge looked at how many nights the kids had been spending with me and didn't even acknowledge what her attorney said. If I could afford to pay her child support I would just to be safe. However now she has dropped them from her insurance and has only had them for 1 night in the past 5 months. Do you think the judge will put me in jail for not paying my ex? I can't afford to pay her a penny.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not saying that doing this without an attorney is a good idea, but Ihave gotten further without one than I EVER did with one. I hired God as my attorney.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermark View Post
. I hired God as my attorney.

Is God listed as your attorney on paperwork filed with the court? Just curious.