Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Bankruptcy Law, Banking and Credit Law Forum > Bankruptcy
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Defendant in divorce filed chapter 7

Hello:

I filed for divorce in April 2009. We finally had a trial date set for 1/26/10. One week prior, I learned that the defendant filed for chpater 7 bankruptcy. He made a significant amount of money last year, per interrogatories, and to my knowledge only had IRS debt and two mortgages on his house. We were jointly buying a motor home (I am co-buyer and do not get the bill at my new residence)--the only joint debt. How can I find out how this filing will effect me? My divorce attorney suggests that I find out myself to save on his legal fees :-(.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

It might impact you, but bankruptcy will not interfere with Child Support Payments. There are are a total of 18 issues I believe that cannot be interfered with due to bankruptcy Child Support being one of them.

Also for any period you were married anything made through work and any debts incurred would be community or marital property and split equally. There are a few exceptions, but that is the blanket rule.

You should use PACER and look up his bankruptcy case. Bankruptcy is difficult, because it is federal and supersedes state rulings.

Here is an article explaining this situation. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...rspective.html

Good luck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!